Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by RHafey: Disappointing in Celebrity

Disappointing in Celebrity

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Greece
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We were guests on board the Celebrity Reflection, a Mediterranean cruise, from June 13th through June 23, 2014. We were on the Concierge Level, deck 10, room 1142.

Our initial " investment" for this cruise was $4,081.00. Our excursions ran $790.00, bringing our pre cruise price to $4,871.00. Now please add 25.00 per day for 10 days gratuities, $160.00 for SODA, and our grand total became $5,281.00, without incidentals and of course, airfare.

First, I would like to address our "Concierge" stateroom.

This was our 40th wedding anniversary celebratory cruise. We came with a group of seven in total. The other couples were in rooms 6159 and 6157. Their rooms were adequate in size, had a balcony, and to be honest, were the same as ours, but for less money.

We were told that the Concierge level had "many perks" and since this was an anniversary present to each other, we went for the extra expense; however, that was not quite true.

We came on board More just like any other passenger. There was a bottle of champagne in our room, we asked the stewart to change it to sparking water, as my husband has a heart problem and cannot consume alcohol with the medication he takes. It took three days and many conversations with him to receive three small bottles of sparkling water.

We never saw our stewart except passing in the hall, and as silly as it may seem, our friends had cute little towel animals on their bed each night, we did not.

The canapés and fruit left daily were obtained from the buffet and were NOTHING I WOULD CONSIDER SPECIAL for the Concierge level, as I could have obtained them myself from the buffet.

There weren't any special clubs, restaurants, meeting rooms, cocktail parties, or special sun-decks dedicated to this level of cruising. There wasn't even a discount for the astronomical pricing of the internet, .75 per minute! My advise, DON'T Upgrade! Your not in the room much anyway!

The next thing I would like to address is the way Celebrity excursions rushes the guests through an excursion so that the customers can be deposited into town to spend their money on souvenirs. Please don't get me wrong, I know it is your choice to shop, or not, and believe me I enjoyed shopping; however, I did not enjoy rushing through the excursions to this end. In Ephesus, (which was the destination that determined which Mediterranean trip we took) we practically ran up the hill to the Blessed Mothers House. We were given 15 minutes to explore the premises and 45min for shopping. IF shopping excursions are built into every tour Then the actual tour should be extending to provide adequate time to really see what you are paying to see, as the excursions are NOT cheap!

Next, I would like to address the dining options. In the cost of the cruise, you have two options, Buffet and Dining Room. However there are SIX specialty restaurants on board each costing approximately $100.00 each. Frankly I found it insulting that after my initial cruise price I need to spend another $100.00 for each restaurant to try a "specialty" one on board! Yes, it is your choice to attend or not, but honestly it is a little much. The dining room options for dinner were mediocre, the buffet was actually much better ;( we were hard pressed to find something on the dining room menu that we liked! Our soda package was $160.00, my advise, pay as you go if you aren't bringing kids. We waited a VERY LONG TIME

For a soda and couldn't possibly have consumed that much soda! Waste of money! Which brings me to lunch. Lunch is served until 2 PM. If you are out on an excursion and get back after that, you are out of luck. Yes, you can pay for lunch as the Porch IS open till 3, or you can get a hamburger or hot dog, but the buffet is closed.

Which brings me to show times and entertainment... There are 2 shows nightly. If you have a 6:00 dinner seating, you need to be done by 7:15 in order to attend the early show. If you have a late seating you need to be finished with dinner by 9:15, that means you have to consume your dinner in 1/2 hour!

The Reflection staple entertainers were fantastic. They did three shows during our stay. There was a violinist (?) a ventriloquist (?) and a comedian. Not the type of entertainment we thought we would be seeing. There are musicians playing in small area on the boat but VERY small dance floors. Casino was packed each night.

Having traveled extensively and cruised on other cruise lines, I feel Celebrity needs to compare itself to other cruise lines and what they offer their guests; especially in a class described as Concierge level. I have to say, this was my first Celebrity cruise and I was very disappointed. Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Reflection Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Reflection 1142

Nice room, but not worth the upgrade price...