Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by doneall50: More than I expected

More than I expected

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was only our second cruise, the first being ten years ago. Everybody who had cruised Alaska raved about it, so we wanted to see for ourselves. Seattle is not one of my favorite cities, but Solstice is now one of my favorite ships. The rumors are correct; you do not realize that 2799 of your best buds are on the same ship, except possibly in the buffet at lunch, or when one of the shows has just let out. But there were plenty of times when we'd be the only person in the corridor, or on the elevators. We were in cabin 7151, which is right next to the forward elevators. I worried we'd hear noise from them, but we never heard a peep.

Of course the weather was awful. It's Alaska, and it's always cold and wet. As a disclaimer, I live in Florida, so anything below 70 is cold. But I'm recovering from the sinus infection as I write this, so it really was dreary. The cabin had everything we needed space-wise, and was attractive. The balcony was useful for picture taking, but too More cold and windy to spend any real time on. Loved the curved shower doors, and the amount of storage in the bathroom.

Since the weather was generally wet, spent a lot of time in the Sky Lounge. One problem is that we kept getting thrown out of there for "private parties", which I think were for frequent cruisers. We finally found that only the starboard side was used for the party, and the port side and forward areas were OK, or else they gave up and stopped throwing us out. Not sure which.

The food was good, but we only ate in the main dining room twice. The Tuscan Grille had the best view on the ship, and great food to go with it. Murano and Silk Harvest were OK, but nothing special.

The shows are OK, but with an Alaskan cruise, one super part was the lectures by the ship's naturalist, and the lectures on the upcoming ports. Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway aren't that well known in the lower 48, so it was nice to know in advance what were were coming into. The highlight of the cruise, hands down, is the trip into Tracy Arm Fjord. The scenery is drop dead gorgeous, even at 6AM in 40 degree weather!

We'd highly recommend this cruise, on this ship. The next cruise will be to warmer parts of the world, and we'll be looking at Celebrity and Solstice's sister ships. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice 7151

Very nice, compact cabin. Especially liked the curved bottom of the comfy mattress, so you don't have corners to fall over. Plenty of storage space in both the bedroom and the bath. Decent sized balcony, nice closet. Sofa was a bit hard and low. Very quiet room, despite being next to the forward elevators.