Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by Floydmb: Cruise to Alaska -- Beautiful But Also A Bit Disappointing

Floydmb
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Miracle Alaska Cruises

Cruise to Alaska -- Beautiful But Also A Bit Disappointing

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I have cruised on Carnival three times before taking this cruise to Alaska. All three of those cruises were delightful, with good service, good food, and lots of fun. Some aspects of this Alaskan cruise were disappointing. The food was mediocre at best. One night I orded prime rib. When it came, it looked green -- I did not eat it. Another night, they served lobster tail as a main course -- very small -- three bites and you were finished.

The service on this cruise was hit or miss -- really good in the state rooms, the casino and at the Atrium bar but lack-luster in the dining room. The waiters did not take the time to introduce themselves, did not make an effort to let us know what was good or not-so-good on the menu. Perhaps they were too overwhelmed with other guests. My friends and I stopped eating in the dining room after the third night. The food at the buffet was either bland or over-salted. The best food was at the grill and the pizzeria. Despite those places being More good, I stopped eating much after the fourth day.

Also, on this cruise, there was little effort to give the guests a taste of the joy and fun that Carnival is known for. The crew and staff's morale seemed low. Everyone seemed worn out and tired. The entertainment was good, however. Good singers and musicians.

The slot machines in the casino were stingy. I thought they might loosen up as the cruise progressed but no. However, the casino hosts were wonderful and generous with their service.

Of course, the scenery in Alaska made the cruise. What a glorious place! I was hoping the cruise experience itself would be as fun and delightful as my previous cruises with Carnival have been. I may have to give the Carnival experience a miss for a while and try another cruise line -- one with better food! Less

Read more Carnival Miracle cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Miracle Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Miracle Balcony Panorama 8145

Our cabin was good. A wonderful balcony. Our steward, Carlos, was attentive and polite. He made sure we were well cared for. Our only complaint about the cabin is that the beds were not comfortable after a few nights. Both of us developed sore backs from sleeping on the saggy mattresses.

Mendenhall Glacier

(4)

The Mendenhall glacier tour was good also. We went to the fish hatchery and gardens first, then to the glacier. The hatchery was of marginal interest to me. The gardens were fascinating. The glacier was beautiful. It was amazing to see how much it has retreated in the last 50 years!

I wish I had taken the glacer/whale watch tour, however. Those who did that saw quite the show put on by Orcas and hump-backs.

Tracy Arm Fjord Catamaran

The Tracy Arm Fjord small boat tour was well worth the money. We got up close and personal with glaciers and weaved in and out of the ice bergs. We saw dolphins and eagles as we cruised.

Yukon Van Tour

(5)

We took the bus/train tour up White Pass. Our bus driver was very knowlegeable and stopped often for photo opportunities. The return trip by train was beautiful. The company arranged for us to be in the last car so we could stand outside on the platform and get unobstructed views.