Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by dsteveoceanview1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by dsteveoceanview1
Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: dsteveoceanview1
Cruise Date: June 2014
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
NCL GETAWAY -- GREAT TIME!!

My husband, sister and I sailed out of Miami on the Getaway on June 14th. This was our 6th cruise (all with NCL).

Overall, we thought the cruise was fun and relaxing. Having read all of the reviews before our cruise, I have to say that many of the reviews were absolutely spot on. Getting on an off the ship was unbelievably easy -- no lines, fast service. The ship itself and our cabin were very nice. Our cabin was cleaned and replenished perfectly each and every day. The public areas on the ship are amazingly well maintained. Two areas of the ship that lack woefully are the adult pool and the gym. I have read this in many reviews and I could not agree more. Something I really miss that I've had on other NCL cruises is the outdoor barbecue at the pool. It seems that this ship has taken up most its outside deck area for slides, rope course, mini-golf, etc. As adults with no children, we miss the party atmosphere of the pool deck with the barbecue. We didn't let that stop us from having fun, though, as we thoroughly enjoyed every minute on the pool deck. The reviews are correct in that if you want a good lounge chair, you must be up early!!

We thought the food in the buffet and MDR's was fine. I would not describe the food as exceptional, but I thought it was very good. We never had to wait for a table in the buffet as the tables were cleaned immediately after they were vacated. As on all of our NCL cruises, the staff on the Getaway were exceptional. They do an amazing job cleaning, serving and making the guests feel welcome. We were especially impressed with drink servers in the casino and the pool deck (Armando and Nelson). We had a lot of fun with them!

All previous cruises we have taken have been out of Boston and New York. I must say that the Miami cruise passengers are so very nice. Of all the cruises we have taken, this was by far the ship that had the nicest, most fun passengers. I will have to consider future cruises out of Miami (not to mention that the weather was phenomenal all 7 days -- not usually the case out of Boston and New York).

I really need to mention the company that provided our transfer from the Port of Miami to Ford Lauderdale Airport. We paid $13.00 each for the transfer through MJ Transportation. They didn't ask for any money up front and yet they were right there calling us on the morning the ship docked. They were efficient, professional and very helpful. There are many transportation companies to choose from, but they are not all created equal. I promise if you choose MJ, you will not be disappointed!!!

I also must mention that the reviews claiming the smoke on the Getaway was ridiculous is entirely not true. There were smoking and non-smoking sections in the Casino. There was a smoking room on the pool deck and a couple of the outdoor bars allowed smoking. This is a huge ship, and I didn't see smoking on this ship the way I have seen it on many others. Even most of the outdoor space is non-smoking. Please don't let those comments discourage you from taking this cruise. I think some of the people who have written in about the smoking have grossly exaggerated.

In terms of activities, we did see the comedians (I think it was called Levity) in the theatre. The show was funny, not hilarious, but worth going. We also saw Burn the Floor the Latin dance group. They were excellent and very, very entertaining. We also watched many shows in the Atrium. We arrived at the shows early and got a seat at the rail in the upstairs pub. Some of the shows were hilarious (Dancing with the Stars and the Karaoke were a lot of fun).

All in all, we had a wonderful time and did not break the bank. GO AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Publication Date: 07/01/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews