Carnival Pride Cruise Review by highway20

Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera
This was our first cruise...I loved it...my husband enjoyed it. We drove to Long Beach and spent Saturday night at the Coast Long Beach Hotel. We paid for their Park & Sail room. Nice room with a great view of the Queen Mary. We left the car at the hotel and were shuttled to the pier by a very friendly and informative driver. We did the early check-in and toured the Queen Mary until it was time to embark. The lines seemed to be soooo long but it wasn't as bad as it could have been considering the number of people they have to process.

The ship was beautiful...our balcony stateroom was great...but not quite ready when we boarded so we toured the ship and had some lunch in the Mermaid Grill. By the time we got back to our cabin it was ready and our luggage was there. We unpacked (lots of closet and drawer space)...and relaxed until it was time to go to dinner. We had late seating as we are accustomed to eating late at home. We met our dinner companions, a couple from California the first night and enjoyed every dinner with them in the Dining Room. Our servers were fantastic...after only a couple of meals they correctly anticipated what each of us would enjoy. I had read on Cruise Critic that you could order more than one entree if you were so inclined...and on many occasions my table mates did just that with no problems. The food and service were always fantastic.

Most evenings we attended the shows in the Taj Mahal Lounge and always enjoyed them. We are not big drinkers or gamblers but we did on occasion try our luck at the slots. There was always something going on that one could enjoy...but what I liked the most was that I could do lots or do nothing at all....the best kind of vacation!

There were many choices in Shore Excursions...I had not prebooked any because I wanted to be able to book an excursion appropriate for the weather in the ports-of call. We chose the dune buggies in Pt. Vallarta...great fun...but your clothes and shoes get really dirty (my white T-shirt is permanently stained). We did the Lunch and Beach in Mazatlan which we both really liked. My husband tried the parasailing and enjoyed the experience. Cabo San Lucas was rainy so we chose a short catamaran tour and then just walked around the marina. All in all the shore excursions were varied but quite pricey...I am glad we chose to wait to book anything until we were sure of the weather. The Mexican peddlers are many and it became very annoying to have to say "no" hundreds of times in all three ports.

The weather was quite cool for most of the sail so we did not spend very much time on the outside decks or by the pools. But we did enjoy a dip in the hot tub while most people were still in port at Cabo San Lucas.

I loved the formal dinners...we have little opportunity to dress up and go out where we live...so it was great to put on some nice clothes and enjoy the always fantastic dinners. The food everywhere on the Pride was great...we tried everything (except the sushi). We had breakfast delivered every morning to our cabin...it was great to pick the time...and enjoy it on the balcony while we decided how we planned to spend the day.

I didn't want the cruise to end...my husband couldn't wait to get back to his car (he loves to drive). We will cruise again...hopefully very soon...he'll go with me..as long as we leave from a port a long way from home and he gets to drive there!

Publication Date: 02/18/07