Coral Princess Cruise Review by SonnyE

Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Number: D724
See More About: Coral Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Coral Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Coral Princess Deck Plans
Not happy...

Fell short of hopes and expectations.  We have been on 7 cruises now with this one. And on various ships and lines. But 3 of ours have been with Princess.

Never before have I felt this pressured to buy, buy, buy! Nor been bombarded with what I felt was not very high quality of the items.

I felt like we were almost captive on the ship with the short shore stops, and slow leisurely cruise speeds.

I was literally pissed off when at Glacier Bay the National Park Rangers aboard announced we couldn't actually enter Glacier Bay because there was "about 1000 seals on the ice flows having or nursing pups."

Well, why wasn't such information disseminated before that so folks can plan accordingly? A later or earlier voyage could have availed to be able to actually see what we sailed to see.

Oh, but then, they might have trouble filling the ship if people knew these details. After all, seals rearing pups in Glacier Bay probably isn't a new occurrence, I should think.

And if you are thinking you will get anywhere as close to calving Glaciers as the video and brochures show, bring some hellish high powered lenses and viewing equipment. No one I talked to saw any calving activity our brief stay there. Nor at College Fiord either. Not that the ship can control glacial movement.

But the ship did stop in College Fiord so a small raft with people in survival suits could take video and stills of ice floating and a lone black bear that made a mad dash for cover as the raft headed towards it on shore. Guess that is where they get the video and pictures they try and sell you aboard. Humm...

While the cabin and accommodations were nice, I felt they were a bit tired looking. And I have been on more "ship shape" ships over the years. We did encounter a few of the crew who misdirected us to the places on the ship we were trying to find. Not a lot, but several times this occurred.

Along the way towards the end of our adventure with this Sea-Land cruise, we found out that Carnival Corporation owns several of the ships we thought were under different ownerships.

I told my wife that if I ever do return to Alaska (and I'd Love to) it will be in our RV where I can spend more time with the locals and get to know Alaska.

More touring, less herding.

Publication Date: 06/30/14