Coral Princess Cruise Review by SonnyE: Not happy...

SonnyE
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Coral Princess Alaska Cruises

Not happy...

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Fell short of hopes and expectations.  We have been on 7 cruises now with this one. And on various ships and lines. But 3 of ours have been with Princess.

Never before have I felt this pressured to buy, buy, buy! Nor been bombarded with what I felt was not very high quality of the items.

I felt like we were almost captive on the ship with the short shore stops, and slow leisurely cruise speeds.

I was literally pissed off when at Glacier Bay the National Park Rangers aboard announced we couldn't actually enter Glacier Bay because there was "about 1000 seals on the ice flows having or nursing pups."

Well, why wasn't such information disseminated before that so folks can plan accordingly? A later or earlier voyage could have availed to be able to actually see what we sailed to see.

Oh, but then, they might have trouble filling the ship if people knew these details. After all, seals rearing pups in Glacier Bay probably isn't a new More occurrence, I should think.

And if you are thinking you will get anywhere as close to calving Glaciers as the video and brochures show, bring some hellish high powered lenses and viewing equipment. No one I talked to saw any calving activity our brief stay there. Nor at College Fiord either. Not that the ship can control glacial movement.

But the ship did stop in College Fiord so a small raft with people in survival suits could take video and stills of ice floating and a lone black bear that made a mad dash for cover as the raft headed towards it on shore. Guess that is where they get the video and pictures they try and sell you aboard. Humm...

While the cabin and accommodations were nice, I felt they were a bit tired looking. And I have been on more "ship shape" ships over the years. We did encounter a few of the crew who misdirected us to the places on the ship we were trying to find. Not a lot, but several times this occurred.

Along the way towards the end of our adventure with this Sea-Land cruise, we found out that Carnival Corporation owns several of the ships we thought were under different ownerships.

I told my wife that if I ever do return to Alaska (and I'd Love to) it will be in our RV where I can spend more time with the locals and get to know Alaska.

More touring, less herding. Less

Read more Coral Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Coral Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Coral Princess D724

Cabin was nice, though a bit tired in appearance. Tired in that I felt it lacked a certain crispness I have experienced on other ships.The dual flat screen TV's afforded me a view of the bow and information, while the wife could watch other programs while reclining on the bed.As it turned out, our Port side cabin did, we felt, offer us a very good viewing location for much of the scenery highlights from our balcony.The black out curtains gave us good darkness for sleeping in the ever shortening nights as we sailed Northward to the land of the midnight sun.Our aft cabin did resonate at times with the actions of the thrusters, especially when turning or docking. That was disturbing even to a very sound sleeper as I am. And being aft, we had to "hike" to get to the bow where most of the food and theaters were.