Norwegian Gem 5

ldohe
Member Since 2004
127 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

This was my 4th cruise on the Gem (love it!), 8th Norwegian cruise, 15th cruise overall. I originally booked an inside cabin, but with the price drop one week prior to sailing, I was able to upgrade to a balcony cabin for $36.

Embarkation/Disembarkation - Friendly and quick. I always arrive early to avoid the crowds.

Cabin - Clean and comfortable as always.

Entertainment - Have been on so many cruises that I rarely attend the main shows in the evening. I do enjoy Liar's club and Quest which are hysterically funny. I also really enjoy martini and wine tasting, trivia, and the pub crawl. The band Prism was awesome! The two main singers were great entertainers.

Spa - My indulgence here is the Thermal Suite which I find is worth the $149 cost for the week. The pool, hot tub, saunas and heated loungers are relaxing.

Food - The buffet has great variety for this vegetarian and my favorite spot to eat is the Great Outdoors on the back of the ship. More The main dining rooms always have a vegetarian option. I know that the kitchen staff will accommodate special requests when they are able. I was treated as a VIP this trip and was fortunate to have breakfast/lunch in Cagney's daily. Loved the French press coffee and Muesli with fresh fruit in the morning.

Itinerary - Not crazy about Nassau (my 4th time here on a cruise) but hired a private driver to give us a tour for $25/each and had a nice time. The private island was beautiful and the complimentary lunch was good. There is a lagoon at the far end of the island if you want to get away from the crowds. You can reach it by a tram. I arranged a private airboat tour with Midway/limo ride for my traveling companions in Florida. Highly recommend doing this - saw a lot of alligators/wildlife and the airboat ride is thrilling!

Staff - Everyone is friendly and the service was great. I arranged a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and the captain and some of the officers came and chatted with us. The hotel director Jenny Lim was very nice and remembered my name - I appreciated that because I am not so good at remembering names!

Overall value was outstanding! I would happily cruise on the Norwegian Gem for the 5th time! Less

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

9566
Mid-ship is a good choice. This room was quiet and clean.

Published 06/30/14

Helpful? Thank ldohe
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?