Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Showboy: A Breakaway from the rest

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

A Breakaway from the rest

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my 17th cruise, the 2nd with NCL. My 1st was on the Epic in Nov 2013. I cruised solo in June 2014 on the Breakaway and this was my experience:

Check-in / Embarkation:

Quick and efficient – the best I have ever experienced. Well done NCL!

Cabin:

Solo cabin (cabin no: 11535). Sufficient space to move around with lots of packing space for clothes, toiletries and luggage storage. Bed was comfortable. Overall the cabin was clean however I found a lot of “dust balls” under the bed, it seems that this part was not vacuumed in months. This was dealt with quickly. I never had a problem after that. The only thing I missed in the Breakaway solo cabin as opposed to the solo cabin on the Epic is the “mood lighting”.

Food:

Overall good with a few hits and misses here and there. The food served in the Spiegel Tent was good, however I do not like the fact that food is being served while the show is on. It is More distracting. They should rather serve starters before the start of the show, halfway through the show (end of the 1st half) serve mains and then dessert after the 2nd half. I felt everything was rushed to get the show and dinner done so that we can be out of the Spiegel tent in the shortest possible time.

Entertainment:

All of the musicians performing in the different bars and lounges were exceptional.

Burn the floor: Dancers are talented but the overall production was disappointing.

Rock of ages: Good music however I’m glad I did not pay to see the show on Broadway.

Michael Finney: Comedy magician good, I would have preferred to see him do more shows or a longer show. I know he has an “adult” show which NCL should consider him doing late night.

Jazz at fat cats: Very good.

Cirque in the Spiegel Tent: Excellent show.

Spice H2O parties: All very good, except the DJ should play music till later. When the weather is good it is nicer to party outdoors than in Bliss.

Bliss (night club): Bliss on the Breakaway is an awful venue in terms of layout. Bliss on the Epic is much better.

Bermuda:

I prefer Bermuda to any Island I have ever visited. It is clean, friendly and stunning. There are no beggars hassling passengers. The tourist info staff is friendly. Transportation is easy and affordable.

Pool / Aqua Park / Ropes Course:

Not enough pools for the number of passengers.

Spice H2O on the Epic has a pool, this was left out on the Breakaway – big mistake.

Waterslides – excellent fun.

Ropes Course – fantastic activity, a must try for all.

General:

Overall this was a good cruise and I would recommend NCL Breakaway. The fact that we docked for 3 days in one place is much better than doing 3 one day stops.

I would also like to mention that Jovan the Studio Lounge host is one of the best cruise staff I have ever encountered.

Note to Norwegian: Please replace the seats in the theatre; they are very uncomfortable (the bar at the back of the seat hurts people). When you read cruise critic reviews most people complain about the bad smell from the casino that affects all surrounding areas. It seems to be a general complainton the Epic, Breakaway – why have you not addressed this issue? Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 11535

The solo cabin concept is brilliant. If only other cruise lines will follow suit.