Thomson Dream Cruise Review by notreallyoldat64: 50th Birthday present and one I am trying to forget!

notreallyoldat64
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

50th Birthday present and one I am trying to forget!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Palma de Mallorca

My partner suggested we went on a cruise to celebrate my 50th as a special treat, We chose to go on the Dream during half term May 2014 with our 12 year old son.

Images in the brochure looked fantastic, 2 pools, great food, great service so we booked.

Unfortunately it wasn't the holiday I expected and hoped to cherish.

Good points.

Very helpful staff

Cruise news every day kept you informed about what was going on.

Cabin was what we expected, service great.

Destination ports nice, Motril, was a bit of a dump, Casablanca full of people wanting your money!

and that's about it!

Bad points.

Broke the Law! - My son went to the bar ordered a diet coke, came back got half way through it and said it tasted funny, we tasted it to reveal the unmistakable tang of alcohol, I presume Rum? Very Very naughty Thomson, in this county you lose your licence, on a boat in the med, nothing happens! - We complained, More but did not get any further comments from them.

Two pools were really really cold! so cold no one went in them!!

Had two Jacuzzi pools, everyone on the boat who wanted to get wet tried to get into these, they hold 8 people each, young kids not allowed in. They ran for the first few days then went out of order. I put my hand into the water just before they want offline, to remove it very quickly, extremely hot water!, much hotter than would be safe for any human to go into IMHO.

Constantly asked for my plastic card when ordering drinks, only one drink per card, staff did the best they could, but on one occasion I was given back someone else's card and had to try to find my own! I was told this was due to keeping a check on stock control.

Ice, Ice baby!! - you get given a glass full to the top with Ice, then the gaps are filled in with Cola, soon realised you ask for reduced amount of ice!

Please sir can I have some more - They had signs up stating they would serve you due to health and safety issues, this went on all week but the signs stated it would only go on for a few days!, IMHO this had nothing to do with H&S more like reducing portion sizes, very embarrassing to have to keep asking for more and felt like Oliver Twist!

Food queues - Awful and I mean awful, felt like being back at school,

Give us all your money - Everything we looked at or wanted to do seemed to cost extra, Photos, Wine Tasting, pre booked seats in the theatre, you name it they tried to charge extra for it.

First class post - Not! - We used the on board service to send a postcode, when it arrived we were told it had been posted several days AFTER we had got home, total waste of time and money.

Everyone was constantly telling us that everyone was working hard on our behalf and that the captain personally reads every comment, trust me I bet he doesn't, if he did we would have been contacted by their customer care department by now.

Rating out of 10, I would say 4

Value for money out of 10, I would say 4

Likelyhood of going on this boat or on a Thomson Cruise again, I would say 3

Very disappointing holiday, I wish I could be 50 again and chose another cruise line where I am treated like an adult and not a part of a Herd of cows... Less

Read more Thomson Dream cruise reviews >>