Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by BenjiRodney: Not ready to step back on board a Royal ship anytime soon

BenjiRodney
Member Since 2010
2,922 Posts

Compare Prices on Grandeur of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

Not ready to step back on board a Royal ship anytime soon

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Baltimore

This would be cruise number 12 overall, and the second one on Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival and can't wait to step back on a Carnival Funship.

We were part of a large group who came from Charleston WV. We also went with this group in 2012 to Alaska on Rhapsody of the Seas, liked Alaska, but no so much Royal, it may be the fact that the ships are older and smaller, that I was left wanting more. We (51 people) traveled by bus from Charleston to Baltimore. This was the first cruise that I did not fly to the embarkation port.

Ship was easy to navigate and get from deck to deck. Not a big fan of sea days so this may have been the wrong cruise to choose. One of the few bright spots on the ship was the activities manager Darryl. He ways always smiling and trying to get people involved in activities.

Dining room was extremely slow. First night took 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Second night was 2 hours. We ate off ship two night in Bermuda and only returned More to the dining room the night we left Bermuda. The other night we found Windjammer to be just fine for dinner.

The shows were hit or miss, some enjoyed them, I liked the one production show Rhythm and Rhyme, did not care for the comedy the first night or the entertainer and his puppets the second night. The show that featured Tony Tillman was great, a really good entertainer.

We booked all of our shore excursions with Royal. The Glass Bottom Boat on the first night was cancelled due to the rough weather we had on the way into Bermuda.

Monday we did the Scenic St George's tour. Nice ferry over to St George's then a 2 1/2 hour drive around the area to see the sights.

Tuesday we booked the 5 hours Bermuda Island Drive by bus. A little long to be on a city type bus, but a nice way to see the whole island in one day.

Service from Guest Relations was non existent. A member of our party was hurt on the Ferry trying to get back to the ship from Hamilton and was taken to the local hospital in an ambulance. We were told to notify the ship and they would handle getting updates and see that she got back to the ship. We told Guest Relations and the lady assured us she would contact the port agent and get us an update. After 2 hours of nothing, we went back to find that she was not there and had to start the conversation over. They did not have the number to the hospital and could not get the port agent on the phone. Finally the Guest Relations Manager, who had been listening the whole time stepped in and called the bridge to try to get information. Finally after a 30 minute conversation with her, she got someone to tell us that she had made it back but was in the ships medical unit being evaluated. Her leg started bleeding when the cab dropped her off at the ship. (Which by the way, the people who operate the ferry paid for the taxi ride back to the ship.)

Guest Relations also messed up my Sea Pass on debarkation morning and I could not get off the ship despite showing security the receipt where I closed out my cash account. I had to separate from the group, go back up to the desk, wait in a long line and have my card cleared again. I was one of the last one out and on the bus for the ride home. But I knew they were not going to leave me. Guest relations also failed to act on the report of the toilet in the room only flushing when it wanted to flush. Would be 30 seconds to 30 minutes at times before it would flush.

Other than the Sea Pass Issue, Baltimore has a quick customs process.

Not ready to step back on board a Royal ship anytime soon. Just not for me. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 4508

Room was small but cozy. Big complaint was the suitcases would not fit under the bed. Had to store them inside of each other and then stack them in the closet. Room was in a nice quiet location on Deck 4. Never can recall hearing any noise from the hall. Toilet only flushed when it wanted, this was reported and as far as I know was never looked at by anyone. The problem was there the entire cruise.

Island Tour

(5)

5 hour Bermuda Island Drive is a great way to see the island in one day. We even got more time to explore in St George. I even managed to get my passport stamped here in St George, happy. We visited beaches, another lighthouse, Hamilton and really got a feel for the island.

St. George's Walking Tour

This was part of our Scenic St George's Tour. Nice area to explore and the history is all around you. This area was the first capitol of the Island and dates back to 1612. Nice church and shops to walk through in town, the ferry ride over took around 45 minutes. We also had time to explore a lighthouse and Ft St Catherine on this excursion. It was just 4 of us and the taxi driver. He would stop if we wanted pictures and answered all of our questions. We even worked out a deal with him to take us over to Hamilton after the tour so we would not have to take a ferry back to the dockyard and then wait for another ferry to Hamilton.