Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by myowngrandpaw

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by myowngrandpaw
Norwegian Getaway
Norwegian Getaway
Member Name: myowngrandpaw
Cruise Date: June 2014
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Getaway Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Getaway Deck Plans
Rookie Review

Reading this review keep in mind, this was our first cruise and we have no other cruises to compare this with.

The Getaway is a very large state of the art ship.

There are 4,000 passengers alone on board. This obviously taxed some of the abilities to accommodate people's ability to see shows, eat dinner, or participate in some "scheduled" activities. I am sure they will work this out as this is the innagural season.

The fine print MUST be read. This is a PEPSI ship. If you do not like Pepsi, Norwegian allowed us to bring our own diet Coke's on board. Drink packages MUST be purchased for all those that qualify in the stateroom. Even if only ONE person in the state room wishes to purchase the drink package. I know why they do this, as people are not always honest and would slip drinks to non participants.

The fine print MUST be read. This ship offers the Ultimate Dining package and implies ALL specialty restaurants are available. Yet after signing up, I read the fine print and realized the a la carte and one specialty reastaurant was NOT inclued in the options. Based on the dining package, you had to pick one restaurant twice.

RESERVE ONLINE PRIOR TO CRUISE. 45 days prior to the cruise I got online and reserved all restaurants and shows. With that many people on board, it is imparitive. It was such a relief walking up to a restaraunt with a large group waiting to get in and just present my room number and walk right in. The only problem was in booking so far in advance, I created conflicts with some activities, which i did not have knowledge of, were going on the same time as the reservation. Don't do the dining package if you want to become flexible in order to adjust your schedule to see some of the WONDERFUL activities this ship provides.

CHECK MESSAGES ON TV IF YOU HAVE RESERVED ACTIVITIES IMMEDIATELY UPON GETTING INTO YOUR STATEROOM. Two of our activities that I had scheduled 45 days earlier had been automatically rescheduled by the cruise line. This caused us to choose between losing money on one of the specialty dining reservations, or get to a show on time. We chose the show and ate in one of the complimentary dining restaurants.

I also noticed in port, all the new ships concentrated on state rooms with balconies. The older boats maybe had one deck of staterooms with balconies. I will guarantee you this is a big advantage for the newer boats. Staterooms with balconies provide great relief for those of us with claustrophobic tendancies. Especially on long cruises.

GREAT EXPERIENCE. Will probably do another cruise someday. I scheduled this cruise not on the line or the boat, but the destination and time frame. Felt fortunate things went well.

Publication Date: 06/29/14
More Norwegian Getaway Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Norwegian Getaway review Read the next Norwegian Getaway review

More Bahamas Cruise Reviews