Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by lfunk: Norwegian Sun Cruise with Authentic Alaska Cruisetour

lfunk
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Alaska Cruises

Norwegian Sun Cruise with Authentic Alaska Cruisetour

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

My group of 24 are back from our Authentic Alaska Cruisetour on the Sun. I am writing this review for all the people out there anxiously wanting reviews on Norwegians Cruise Tours. I was hoping to have reviews prior to my cruise tour. They were few and far between.

We were on the June 9 sailing Northbound out of Vancouver. The lines in Vancouver were very long because you have immigration to go through first and it had all cruise ships in the same lines. After you get past immigration the cruise line check in lines were short. The Sun is an older ship. It was not our favorite ship but I would not say it is horrible. I recommend getting the ultimate dining package or at the very minimal have dinner at the specialty restaurants a couple of nights. They were all very good. Check out the lunch time barbeques cooked on deck I believe on sea days. They were excellent.

We had a mini suite and loved the cabin. The bathroom is wonderful. I thought the bathtub was way too high More to get into but overall the room is great. It was located near gym and spa. The gym was crowded at times and the crew use the gym equipment which does not help. Others in my group had inside, oceanviews, and balcony cabins and no one complained about their cabins.

Now about the Cruisetour portion. We were given our cruisetour paperwork including luggage tags the second to last night of cruise. We were instructed to meet in the main theatre the morning of disembarkation. The theatre was divided by the different cruise tours. We were led off the ship into awaiting motorcoaches. My group did the Authentic Alaska Cruise Tour. Our tour director from Premier Alaska Tours was excellent. Her name was Debbie and she lived in Alaska most of her life. She was a world of information. Our first overnight was in Homer. Our hotel was Ocean Shores. The first impression was that it looked like a storage facility but the rooms were very clean. We stopped at the Oceans and Islands visitors center prior to checking into our rooms. We were suppose to get dropped off at the spit for dinner that evening however the electricity went out in the whole town so dinner consisted of a stop at the local grocery store that had emergency generator to pick up lunchmeat for dinner. We did make a quick stop the next morning at the spit to get a little shopping in.

Our next day we stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center on our way to Anchorage. There was a few other stops which I will let be a surprise. One of which was very enjoyable and unexpected. We did see two sets of twin moose along the way which was exciting. We stayed at the Marriott in Anchorage and were very pleased with the hotel. We ate at Humpys for dinner. It was crowded but good food.

We departed Anchorage early the next morning for Talkeetna. We had a half hour or so to walk around town and then boarded the Wilderness Express for Denali. We all had lunch on the train which was very nice. Upon arrival in Denali we were transferred to the Grand Denali Lodge high on the hill. It was nice. The rooms were slightly dated but overall a good experience. Some of the group went to the Cabin Nite Dinner Theatre which was pricey but the food was very good. Others chose ATV tour and Whitewater Rafting. Premier Alaska Tours gives you a list of optional excursions available while on this tour. They are in Denali and Fairbanks. They will assist you with choosing something else if it is not on their list as long as time allows. The following morning we went to the Husky Homestead of Jeff King. This was an excursion that surprised my group how much they enjoyed it. It was excellent. Everyone man and woman alike thoroughly enjoyed this. The afternoon we spent on the Tundra Wilderness Tour. We saw grizzly close to the road as well as moose, sheep, and other small animals.

Our next morning we boarded the coach and headed to Fairbanks. We had a brief city tour including the Alaskan Pipeline. We stayed at the Rivers Edge Cabins. They were very nice. Everyone loved the cabins and would have like to stay a couple nights there. We went to the Salmon Bake that night which is kind of a nice way to end the tour. I'm sorry to report that due to cloudy weather we did not see Mt. McKinley.

I would have to say that Premier Alaska Tours were very good. I would not hesitate to use them for a future group. A newer ship would have been nicer but the ship is sufficient especially the itinerary of Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 11014

Loved the mini suite. The bathrooms are amazing.