Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Milleral

Member Name: Milleral
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Shore Excursions 5+

Memorable Vacation Aboard the Jewel

Embarkation: Was a breeze. Shortly after checking in we were escorted to lunch. After lunch and a quick self guided tour around the ship we arrived at our room to find our luggage was already there.

Room/Butler/Steward: Our room was fantastic. More than enough space for the three of us who stayed there. The bonus was the Haven courtyard outside our door which included a pool, hot tub and small counter with assorted snacks throughout the day. Our butler was a sweetheart. He stopped by to introduce himself on the first day when I happened to mentioned my love of gummy bears and my brother's love of chocolate chip cookies. For the remainder of our trip, without fail, we would return to our room at the end of the day to find a plate full of cookies and a bowl of gummy bears on our table. So impressive. And finally, our steward was phenomenal. He remembered all of our names from the very first day and was a friendly face in the hallways. He would clean and turndown our room while we were at meals and left us towel animals each night.

Food: Most of our breakfasts and lunches were at Moderno or O'Sheenan's. Nothing special but pretty good. We tried the Garden Cafe for breakfast one morning and it was not a great experience. Seating was difficult to find and there was little order to the buffet lines. I was constantly dodging other passengers to get my food.

We ate at a different specialty dining restaurant each night (we purchased the Ultimate Dining Package to get our money's worth). As a family we were all very pleased with Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno and La Cucina. Teppanyaki was good but there service was rushed so they could turn it over for the next seating. We were not at all impressed with Chin Chin. Not worth the additional cost.

Spa: I had one treatment at the spa. The esthetician was fantastic and so friendly but in the end I'm not sure it was worth the price.

Shore Excursion: Were awesome! It seemed pretty organized in regards to getting on and off the ship. We never had a problem finding our tour guide or transportation. We ended up going salmon fishing, whale watching and to the musher's camp. Unfortunately we only caught one fish and it was too small to keep. Kind of disappointing. But the whale watching and musher's camp exceeded my expectations.

Glacier: This was my father's favorite part of the whole cruise. Stunning does not even begin to describe the scenery. On the way to the glacier we saw a whale, bald eagles and some harbor seals.

Entertainment: Bingo was fun. We ended up playing a couple times during the days at sea. And we enjoyed the trivia games and names that tune. Each night after dinner we went to the 9:15 show. They had quite a variety of entertainment on the ship - a magician, comedian, singers, dancers & cirque type acts. Its certainly not broadway but I was entertained non the less.

All in all we had a wonderful trip. The customer service was out of the world and Alaska never disappoints.

Publication Date: 06/28/14