Oceana Cruise Review by GiggleBee

Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: other
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Number: D318
See More About: Oceana Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Oceana Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Oceana Deck Plans
Never again

After traveling with Royal Caribbean a few times me and my Auntie decided to give P&O ago, so booked a 2 night trip to Gurnsey. We arrived at the Ocean terminal in Southampton at just gone 11 and we actually got on the ship at about 11:45, which we thought was pretty good but things began to go down hill from there.

We went to the plaza for the buffet lunch, the food looked nice but when we got to eating it most of it was cold and a lot of it tasted of salt. The puddings were nice but a lot were very small or really thin, I had a cheese cake that only had then thinnest layer of crumbs on the bottom.

I then went to get a drink and found that all there was on offer in the way of free drinks was water, I'm not a massive fan of water, so I spoke to a waiter and asked if there was anything else I could have instead and he just shrugged and said "You'll just have to buy drinks, won't you?" but at nearly £2 for a small cup of coke it would have got expensive as the weather was so hot and that mixed with all the salt in the food was making me very thirsty. in the end I did buy a couple of drinks and then at breakfast the next morning we took some apple and orange juice back to the cabin with us and stored it in the fridge.

A lot of the staff in the Plaza were quite rude, none seemed to smile and when you did order drinks they'd just place it in front of you with the receipt and say 'sign this'. they never felt approachable or felt like someone you could have a conversation with. The staff at reception were very similar and when we came to them with a query about gratuity's they were very sharp with us.

The cabin itself was nice, although the bed was lumpy and really uncomfortable. The room attendant was lovely but I think she was just a little to quick and maybe didn't check the room properly as we found rubbish in it from previous tenants.

Unless you like bars or disco's there was really nothing to do on the ship. The first night we ended up sat in the library playing a board game and the 2nd night was spent in our cabin playing on my tablet. a lot of the time during the day though we found ourselves wondering around aimlessly, there seemed to be no day time activities like quizzes.

The disembarkation was good and very straight forward, although when I did get home with my suitcase and tried to unlock it I found that the lock had bucked so it seemed like it had either been squashed or someone had tried to get into it and busted the lock in the process, so in the end my Dad had to cut the lock off so we could get into it.

We won't be cruising with P&O again and we very much look forward to are cruise in November on Independence of the seas.

Publication Date: 06/28/14
More Oceana Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Oceana review Read the next Oceana review

More British Isles & Western Europe Reviews
I Expected Better
What has happened to Celebrity...
Queen Victoria Cruise