Noordam Cruise Review by Bothel: Very disappointed

Very disappointed

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I had been told my cruise with Holland America would be a step up from my usual line -- Royal Caribbean. It was a step. But a step down.

I do not believe there is such a thing as a bad cruise. And I liked this one. But I would never recommend HAL to anyone else.

The cabin was excellent. We had a fantail suite with a great wrap-around deck -- which we used extensively. And our cabin stewards were top notch.

The rest of the cruise was so-so. Like most cruise dining room food, the meals were banquet food. Special requests were generally ignored. HAL must have cut their dining room staff. Water and wine glasses went unfilled. Plates with meals uneaten did not cause any inquiry. Even the specialty restaurant had slow service and mediocre steak.

I go on cruises for the entertainment. On this cruise, the entertainment would not have made a good pier show. With the exception of an American jazz pianist, Judy Carmichael, who actually attempted to teach the More audience and stretch their minds.

Our concierge duo, Homer and Celine, made yeoman efforts to make up for the shortcomings elsewhere on the ship. They were gems.

I do not expect much from ship shore excursions. And that is what I got. The excursions I most looked forward to were cancelled. Those that I took were over-crowded and far too hurried for the expense. I would advice anyone who takes a cruise in this area of the Mediterranean to skip te shore excursions. Most can be done on foot -- or with the help of a local taxi.

I do not regret taking the cruise. I just would not make the same mistake twice. Less

Read more Noordam cruise reviews >>