Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ivy andev12212010: Great cruise, great service ... the suite has spoiled us

ivy andev12212010
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Baltic Sea Cruises

Great cruise, great service ... the suite has spoiled us

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Copenhagen

This was my 6th NCL cruise in 3 years. I actually made platinum while on it. My second time on the Star. Upon arrival from the USA our luggage was lost. Thanks American! We spent 3 days in Copenhagen before the cruise. Alas, no luggage. Boarded the Star, kept hoping that it would miraculously appear before we set sail. No luck. During the boarding we told our concierge and gave him all of the paperwork. He said he would take care of it. I tried my best not to let it upset me. We had our 16 year old son with us for his first overseas trip. Luckily there was an H&M near our hotel in Copenhagen so we were able to get a few things. The gift shop on the Star was a bit pricey but we got a few things there as well.

For this trip we booked the 2 bedroom, 2 bath JADE SUITE. It was fabulous. Huge jetted tub with a window, multi-jetted shower as well. Tons of storage. Living and dining room. Beautifully appointed. Huge comfortable king size bed, nice linens and bedding. Teak floored More deck with two comfortable lounge chair on the balcony. 2 sinks in master bath area. Elemis soaps, shampoos, creams etc. Bath crystals. Fabulous expresso machine with pods.

The suite comes with a butler, steward, and the services of the concierge. All three of them were superb. Every night my husband and son ordered DVD's from the butler and watched movies. My son does not like Pepsi products, he only drinks root beer. Clint, our steward, emptied the mini-bar and filled it with root beer. Every night he would bring an appetizer to our cabin. He was marvelous.

Another perk of the suite was being able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney's. Great menu. My son had steak and eggs every morning. The crab cakes were great as well.

We met up with the concierge every morning when the ship docked and were led out by him before anyone else. As this cruise was very port-intensive it was great to be able to beat the crowds.

We purchased the Ultimate Dining Package which was great. Never had to wait, all of the restaurants were great. We just told the butler where and when. One night our son was too tired to go out so the butler brought him his meal from the specialty restaurant and set it up in our dining room.

Our luggage finally made it on Day 4 of the cruise, Tallinn, Estonia.

I found the ship to be spotless, the crew very friendly. Shows were so-so. I've seen most of them already. The Cruise Director, Iain Bagwell, is a gem. He was the Assistant Cruise Director on the Star the year before and we loved him then. Was pleased to see that he had been promoted. Well deserved.

Hugo, the Hotel Director was very charming. Omar, the Concierge was great as well.

The best ship casino I've ever been to as well. Radu, the manager, is so nice. Always on the floor, checking to make sure you are happy.

The ports were all great. I especially loved Tallinn & Stockholm. So much walking, I was happy to sit in the Jacuzzi tub in the suite every night.

All in all, a great cruise, great ship & staff. The only negative is that I will never want to cruise again unless we are in a suite. It was well worth the extra money. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Star Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Star 11020

I must say, everyone I spoke to was right, once you have had a suite you will never go back to a simple balcony. On this 9 day Baltic sailing, we brought our 16 year old son so we booked the Jade Suite. A 2 bedroom, two bath suite. It was wonderful. Beautifully furnished, nice dining area, complete with a expresso machine. Couch, two chairs, big flat screen TV in living area. Nice large deck with wood flooring, two lounge chairs. The master bedroom was fabulous. Very comfortable king size bed, beautiful linens. Jacuzzi tub and a walk-in multi-jetted shower both with a window view. Plenty of storage space all over. Perfect location, right near the elevator. The butler, steward, concierge service was all top-notch. Having a suite also means you can have breakfast & lunch at Cagneys which is fabulous. Early disembarkation at every port as well. Well worth the extra money.