Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Siora7777: Okay first cruise with Royal Caribbean

Siora7777
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Okay first cruise with Royal Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Embarkment was a breeze, took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Cabin was hump balcony mid-ship, superior room 9078 was nice and spacious. Location was ideal, right next to the elevator and convenient to everything. Our attendant Francisco was amazing and so friendly. Kept our room in tip top shape, always made a point to say hi and keep us informed of the going on of the ship and let us know what to expect and when to expect things. Highly recommended. The room was is good condition, balcony large, new flat screen TV.

The room would have been so wonderful had it not been for the loud More music. We weren't the only ones who thought it was loud. Some cruiser we spoke with on a lower level on the same location said the same exact thing. I honestly feel there is probably a better location to have a party near the pool area. I think the party ended around 11pm to midnight but on that very last day when we had to get up early, I felt like filling a complaint I was so upset. I feel like the staff should no better. Who wants to hear YMCA when they are trying to sleep?

Limited stations on the TV so nothing really to watch. Who watches TV on a cruise? I do. At night and right when I come back to port or in the morning when I'm waiting. I like to wind down with some nightly television. I wasn't the only one with this complaint. There is a reason there is a TV in the room, people watch it.

The food on the ship was pretty average. Some was good, some not so good, all just decent. I would say it was a steady 3 star experience. I was disappointed there was not a crepe station or eggs benedict in Windjammers. Breakfast was the same 15 items and the bacon was particular greasy and thin. There were several stations but they just mirrored each other. I understand they are trying to cut close but how about you rotate your menu every other day?

Dinners in the Main dining area mirrored what was in the Windjammers but was just spruced up a bit. I don't understand the point of that. The Main dining room staff was also top notch, 5 stars for sure. I did feel like there was way too many Indian food options on the ship, I dislike that kind of food and dreaded smelling it. I hate butter chicken or anything like it.

I felt that the food was very repetitious. I'm not a food critic and I didn't go hungry but there really wasn't anything fabulous I could recommend. Even the lobster on lobster night was too salty. The presentation was always lovely. I understand they work hard, I'm just giving my own opinion based off my other experiences. It was pretty much just food.

After a while I only ate the star item on my dish and not the fillers/sides. Sometimes I only ordered starters. Even the dessert options were limited, not a lot of fruit options. And what really got me was that Windjammers closed at 9pm. The party went late and kept me up but they closed the main restaurant?! I could see people asking staff what else was open...really? On a cruise your buffet closes nightly at 9pm and there is a party going on?

The ship is in good condition, clean and the crew keeps it up. Everyone works hard on that ship and everyone was so friendly. You could tell the staff wanted to stay on this ship and continue their contracts. Everyone went out of their way to make you feel welcome. You couldn't even leave your water at the table in the buffet and expect it to still be there on your return, that's how quick the staff was.

The shows, I only went to one and it was short and sweet. A singing group. Hardly anyone was in attendance so you could sit where ever you wanted. It was entertaining.

The ports were all wonderful and I definitely want to do this again. I enjoyed each and every one of these stops.

Disembarkment was not as quick. There was a rain storm in San Juan that held us up. But we carried our luggage out since we are American citizens and we had that option. It took about 45 minutes total (some standing around) but we were off the ship somewhere between 7am to 8am that morning. Not bad.

Overall, our experience was as expected and worth it. The Thai solarium was not as beautiful in person as I thought it would be after seeing the pictures but was still relaxing. They shut it down one day for maintenance. the food wasn't as good as my last cruise but the staff and the ship we great.

The ship is older and smaller, it did not blow me away but I liked how it never seem crowded. I enjoyed the stateroom but not the noise.

I probably won't do this ship again but I will try out Royal Caribbean again if the price and the destination is right. Nothing against this ship, I just like to try a different one each time I sail. I will sail to see if other ships are run differently, but if I come across another cruise where the buffet closes at 9pm, I will have to reconsider sailing with Royal Caribbean again. I just didn't like that. What do you do if you want to sit and visit with people over a light snack on your vacation? Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas 9078

Cabin was hump balcony mid-ship, was nice and spacious. Location was ideal, near the elevator and convenient to everything. Our attendant Francisco was amazing and so friendly. Kept our room in tip top shape, always made a point to say hi and keep us informed of the going on of the ship and let us know what to expect and when to expect things. Highly recommended. The room was is good condition, balcony large, new flat screen TV. My only complaint here would be the loud music that we could hear from the solarium at night when there was a party going on. I go to bed early so I found that disruptive. For that reason alone, I probably would book an AFT cabin from here on out and I won't book 9078 again on this type of ship. I missed the panoramic views of the back of the ship as well as the quiet. The room would have been so wonderful had it not been for the loud music. We weren't the only ones who thought it was loud. Some cruiser we spoke with on a lower level on the same location said the same exact thing. I honestly feel there is probably a better location to have a party, like near the pool area. I think the party ended around 11pm to midnight but on that very last day when we had to get up early, I felt like filling a complaint I was so upset. I feel like the staff should no better. Who wants to hear YMCA when they are trying to sleep?