“Great itinerary but ship looking tired”
Cruise review of Ocean Princess

mezza Ocean Princess 5 Great itinerary but ship looking tired
mezza
Member Since 2007
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

This was a long awaited cruise , so we made it the trip of a lifetime with pre cruise land content, including safari parks. At the end, I was satisfied that I had seen much of sub-Saharan Africa. Though many onboard had sailed from Singapore or even Sydney ( 90 days), this itinerary with its sea days, at times dragged on. The activities including the Special Interest and Port Lectures were such that did not fill us with enthusiasm to go to, so we spent most sea days reading or in my case, playing games on my iPad. The ports, on the other hand were very interesting and I felt privileged to have had the opportunity to go to places that most of us from the more developed countries, would ever dream of. As such, I am ever so glad we did this trip and so tolerated those areas of the cruise that were perhaps more enjoyable on the newer ships

On booking, I requested a 6 pax table but on the first night ushered to a 4 pax table with just us. After 5 days of looking at ourselves each night, we invited another couple, who then stayed with us throughout the cruise. The food and service was excellent- I cannot fault anything. The hot and cold soups were a highlight of the menu for me. Biggest problem was the fact that food ran out because the ship didn't get all the container deliveries but what the heck, we were never going to starve! Can't understand why the Dining doesn't move to Anytime but people seem to make their own arrangements anyway!

Hmmm, I think Head Office booked the circuit left overs of individual entertainers. Perhaps we have cruised too much but some of them should have retired a long time ago. There were exceptions and they were the ones that got standing ovations. The intimate atmosphere of the OP, means it is liking having entertainers in your lounge room- sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't. The production shows were good as usual and now Aubrey is contracted to the bigger ships and will be missed. Spammy Goldstein on the piano in the lounge was a highlight for many- he is quite an exceptional entertainer with a sincere and very pleasant personality.

Accommodation

Balcony as usual, we had the most amazing female cabin steward- never seen anyone who worked so fast and efficiently and with such a delightful personality. Always smiling, happy and ready to assist. Thanx Emma

Excursions

Mostly good except for the Ghost Town excursion in Luderitz- interesting but boring really

Well, overall a good cruise but the ship is looking tired even if the staff kept it going really well. We are booked on her again July 2015 and by then she will be looking like she definitely needs to be retired too!

Overall Ratings
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

7064
Good, no complaints except pillows- hate feather pillows
Published 06/25/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Ocean Princess Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?