Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Glynnd: Never Again RCL !!!!

Glynnd
Member Since 2014
1 Post

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Never Again RCL !!!!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

Our first taste of RCL We had booked this a year in advance to coincide with my partners birthday, being day of departure, we had booked a balcony cabin for the cruise.

I will start with the good points , check in smooth,no waiting, cabin first rate, all the goodies I had pre booked ,birthday dressing of cabin and romance package duly waiting , the ship has the wow factor and that's all I can say are the good points .

Before I get onto the moans, we have written to RCL and for the other members who have the same moans I would recommend doing the same as you only have 28 days duly found in the very small print of the brochure.

Here goes with a just a few ,as I know you will get bored.

Room - Only tea provided no coffee , had to keep restocking ourselves as was two much trouble for room attendant. Only shampoo in bathroom - had to go and buy some from RCL shop at $5 each.

Food - if you are looking for world class cuisine - forget going on a More RCL cruise- We were in freedom dining ,booked a table for two and got duly placed upon a table of eight being 4 tables 6 inches gap between them !! Second night was formal night one thing we both enjoy - very few participated , jeans and shorts galore in the dinning room. apart from my partner being nearly knocked flying twice by waiters we were seated . 3 course meal unlike the 5 and 6 on other cruises - we both had the same main and the food was served cold ,dessert was in a plastic dish on a warm plate and coffee was served before even dessert arrived . We also had the wine package , a separate list is given to you but upon ordering was told we were out of stock on the second night !!! It became tell me what you had got. Next evening , waiters tried there hardest to take us out whilst walking to table , both had the same main - one came with yellow cauliflower one didn't - said to waiter and his answer was its saffron coloured !!! we gave up after that and decided to dine in windjammer for a few days until one breakfast being served a undercooked egg and that was the last straw on the food - there were more issues leading up to this . Also you could have cottage pie ,curry and pizza at the dinning room on an evening. Chops grille - service appalling to say the least, I accidentally knocked my bread knife off the waiter duly picked it up and took it away, never seen again until I had to be asked , part of order not arrived ,no coffee offered unlike another table glad we hadn't paid - part of the compensation after complaint to guest services ( For some reason was always busy )

Room service

Had it twice,once normal and once part of romance package, both times got it wrong ,along with cold coffee on the first one .

Destinations-

Don't believe what RCL tell you about arrival and departure - your always 30 mins later and 30 mins sooner than stated if you are lucky .Priority of departure is always given to RCL booked excursions. Cannes was via tender and we had a 7 hour trip booked with shore excursions, due to the farce of RCL this ended up 5 hrs with only 30 mins free time in Monte Carlo. I was surprised that fights didn't break out as there was no organisation or direction on what to do at any of the departure points .Obviously port fees expensive as one sea day we cruised at 8 knots all day and night.

Bars

Not enough, couldnt get a seat or drink in some after the show .Drinks package don't do it !!!

Staff-

My god I could write endless here but lets just say don't expect a friendly welcome or to be treated well .

Tips

Applied to everything , we got stung for 18% when we visited the spa as a birthday treat , even had to pay for a glass on deck because we were on the drinks package !!!

This above was not the only problems , they have gone in our 4 page letter