“Very disappointing”

Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I have cruised on Celebrity and Oceania and friends and I decided to find out what the fuss was all about regarding the Allure. I am in mid 60's and although I did not zip line, rock climb or go on the Flow Rider, I found the idea of the ship very creative. The ship is enormous and to get from forward to aft, there are really levels that get you there fairly quickly-deck 5 is the Promenade, 8 is Central Park ( the quickest), 15-the pool deck and deck 4- the entertainment deck. Fortunately my cabin was on 8 and we used Central Park most of the time. Don't try to use the stateroom hallways-they go on forever!!

Central Park was lovely-trees, benches, restaurants and some shops. The Boardwalk was fun and the Acqua Theater had a fabulous screen on which they showed movies, the Heat game and the World Cup games. The Casino on 4 has a smoking section and when you walk through, you can still sniff the smoke, in spite of efforts to camouflage it with a room freshener scent.

The entertainment was terrific-Acqua show and Blue Planet were exceptional with Cirque de Soleil type acrobats on a moving ship. We saw Chicago and enjoyed thoroughly. The Ice show was also very entertaining. What I enjoyed most, entertainment-wise, was after dinner lounges. There was something for every age group. We particularly liked the Jazz Quartet and the 12 piece Jazz band.

Pool area: We chose to use the Solarium pool area because it was relatively quiet. The main pool deck was jammed-loads of kids and young adults. The kids' pools were so packed that if I brought my grandkids on board, I'd never let them in those pools-packed like sardines.

The staff were terrific. Our waitress in the Champagne and Martini Bar, Lucy was great and great fun. Our dining room waiters were ultra attentive. However, the food was just awful. They must literally use a ton of salt or more on this ship. Some nights, I couldn't eat dinner. The specialty restaurant Chops was terrible. The steaks must have had so much MSG and salt on them. I didn't eat mine. There was no point in sending it back, since the cut of meat (Strip Steak) was tough and hard to cut. My friend sent his back because of the salt and asked for medium rare. It came back raw in the middle and he had to send it back again. If you go, spend your few extra dollars in the Vintages Tapas lounge in Central Park. This food was outstanding as was the service and wine.

The ship was really too large for my taste and we felt we were constantly getting on and off elevators to get from one end of the ship to the other to access the "cut across" decks. If you have difficulty walking, either get yourself a scooter or go on another ship.

I must say, that for such a large ship, disembarkation was the easiest on any ship I've been on. We met in the theater on deck 5 (very happy it was on my side of the ship and I didn't have to pull my hand luggage across the ship). From there, we just walked out to the deck and left.

I would give the ship 3 stars for it's entertainment and novelty factor, but I wouldn't go on either the Allure or the Oasis again. I probably wouldn't choose Royal Carib again either based on the food.

Allure of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

8166
My stateroom was adequate size. There was plenty of storage space-more room than any other ship I've been on. My cabin steward was extremely attentive and I give him high marks.
Published 06/23/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Allure of the Seas Review
Allure of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?