Noordam Cruise Review by gordp: Disappointing

Disappointing

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

I had high hopes for a great experience. My wife had her 60th and I wanted to surprise her with a spectacular experience and give her a trip to remember, 16 nights Rome to Greece, Turkey, Rome, Rhodes, Gythion (Sparta), Athens, Naples, Monte Carlo, Tunisia, Palermo etc.. Arrival was great, fast embarkation, we were welcomed to a nice Veranda Room with balcony as promised everything was great.

Our first Meal was blah and the service dead slow. Due to recent health issues we could not serve ourselves for the first two days and had to stand in line for up to 15 minutes to even just to get a coffee. The food was worse than the food in a high school cafeteria. I mean it looked good, it was the right stuff, but it had no flavor. Well perhaps it was just the first dinner. The next morning Breakfast came and we were excited, down we go, it smelled good. Oh no, more lines, Sausage and eggs takes 10 minutes.... and again the eggs are tasteless, the bacon is mass cooked like a slab. The More next day we try the omlette station, 15 minutes for an omlette, lot's of ingredients, looked good, smelled good, very little flavor. Then I see the cook filling the egg bowl with egg mix from a carton. They don't use real eggs! They have eggs for show on the counter, but they use eggs from a box. The bacon in the omlette is cooked like cardboard and taste about the same.

So we decide to try the upgraded Dining in the Tammirand. Nice ambiance, good appi's. I ordered the Filet with Wasabi crust. Not bad. My Wife ordered the Shrimp and Scallop dish. I figured something was wrong, she offered me a taste. These had to be the worlds smallest scallops, tasteless in what taste like a luke warm consume. The shrimp were not much better. Yuk.

One night we had shrimp cocktail, the shrimp were soft, and you guessed it tasteless, but also without any smell, like they have been defrosted in water overnight any hint of flavor washed away.

The Steak and Lobster night, more of the same. The Lobster could have been from one of those packages of crab sticks that are made up of fish bits and shaped and colored to look and smell like Crab or Lobster but don't taste like much.

We Purchased the Admirals wine Package, again what a disappointment. I like my wine, but the quality was not anywhere near what I expected. Most of the wines were of a sub $20 value. I hate paying $100 for a bottle I can buy at home for $17. More important here we are in Italy and no Barolos, no Amorone.

But Columbia Valley or Mondavi Jr for $50 a bottle. Really sad. Of course Costco sells the same for $7.99

I had such high hopes, Many people had told me this was one of the best lines. Hardly, we had better food and wine selections on the Carnival Triumph.

The flight home was welcoming experience, the food was out of this world. I was relieved, I was worried they had ruined my taste buds.

I provided my feedback to HAL and they replied that they were sorry to hear that.

So I think you get my point by now. Next cruise will be with a different line. When I spend over $10,000 for a cruise I expect a little more. Less

Read more Noordam cruise reviews >>