Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by PP2

Member Name: PP2
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Not my idea of a relaxing holiday

First, let me say this was my first time on RCCL as I wanted to try out this brand. I've travelled with Celebrity, Princes and P&O in the last year.

The ship is clean, big and accommodation was good. We had a balcony on the hump. Food was ok, a bit bland and reflected the mass market catering. It will never win any prizes for taste.

Ports were good, although the tender at Cannes was a nightmare, taking over an hour to get on a tender.

Entertainment was ok, although some was very amaturish, but most seemed to enjoy.

I found the staff very friendly. Treat people as you would want to be treated yourself and all will be well.

The main pools were busy, noisy and full of unsupervised kids. I actually saw a toddler struggling with her water wings whilst her parents lay on their sun beds. There were too many passengers on cheap holidays drinking all day and night while their kids ran around. Given this was not school holiday time, I'd hate to be on IOTS in the summer.

I had a great holiday, but RCCL from the UK is not for me. This has nothing to do with the brand as I thought it good, but the passenger mix was such that it made for interesting people watching. One bloke told me as he was stuffing his face from his plate in the buffet while continuing to fill his plate, that this was better than Benidorm; free food all day & night and unlimited booze from his drinks package & believe me he was not joking. Sometimes I felt as though I was paddling in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Unsure if RCCL is the same from non UK ports, but until I'm convinced otherwise It's back to Princess and Celebrity for me.

Publication Date: 06/20/14