Insignia Cruise Review by MrsDave: Holy Land June 10th 2014 - Rechristening Cruise

MrsDave
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Insignia Middle East Cruises

Holy Land June 10th 2014 - Rechristening Cruise

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Middle East
Embarkation: Istanbul

This is our first time on Oceania. The Insignia has been refurbished and this was her maiden cruise.

The rooms are adequate. No frills, standard. The bathroom is very small and they have cleverly used a shower curtain vs a glass shower door to allow a little more space to maneuver in the shower.

Ask for softer pillows. Housekeeping will bring them almost immediately

The ship is very clean. The crew is courteous and does everything they can to make your trip a pleasant experience.

The dining room staff in both the Grand Dining room and the more casual buffet restaurant are so efficient that as soon as your fork hits the plate…it's promptly removed.

We didn't take the Oceania excursion package and opted to arrange for private tours. I think it might have been better to take the package because you are ensured that you will be with a "group" and not have to be concerned if you are late getting back.

The other really big thing More for us, is that using the tools of CC and the message boards I connected with some fellow passengers who were looking for an additional couple to join their private tour. I can't stress

enough that if you intend to do this, make sure you engage with the other travelers PRIOR to committing to join up with them to make sure you feel a synergy. Although I attempted many times to contact them on CC, they ignored me and even when I posted to them that I had joined their tour, they did not acknowledge me. I should have realized this could be a potential issue. It was and turned out to be two very uncomfortable travel days.

They were not friendly or engaging and the rides in the mini van was almost unbearable as the tours are 11-12 hours each day. Get to know who you are joining way ahead of time of alleviate and/or identify any red flags.

We thought the ports were good and again the Cruise Director, Leslie kept us informed on the various activities on and off the ship.

The evening entertainment was good

In summary, this itinerary is very hectic...make sure you understand all the walking and climbing involved

I should mention that as this was a "Rechristening Cruise for the Insignia, the founder and his wife were on board the ship. As new passengers to the Oceania line, I think it would have been good if he and his wife sought out the "new" passengers…although we saw them dining with us..they mostly kept to themselves.

I would say this was an overall good experience. However, this will be our last Oceania Cruise. It is very expensive and I expected a bit more... Less

Read more Insignia cruise reviews >>