Grand Princess Cruise Review by dosi33: Absolutely Wonderful!

dosi33
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Grand Princess Alaska Cruises

Absolutely Wonderful!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

The staff were very friendly and attentive and gave excellent service. I truly felt pampered the whole time and did not have any negative experiences at all. The only thing that came a little bit close to being negative was that I talked to some other passengers who had a leak in their room, but they were subsequently upgraded to a better cabin so they were happy about it.

We had a mini suite and it was very spacious and tidy. It was showing some wear, but not much and it was fine with us. Our steward was very good about making sure we had everything we needed and took very good care of us.

The entertainment was good, but a little disappointing after my last Princess cruise which was hosting the Entertainer of the Year contest. I guess I can't expect a normal cruise to be on the same level as that, but it was still very good.

The food was excellent, especially considering that they are trying to make thousands of people happy. The French Onion Soup was one More of the best I've ever had.

II think they did and excellent job with embarcation as well as getting everyone off the ship and back at each port.

Alaska was simply fabulous! I will definitely go again, but I think I will try one of the cruise tours next time and combine a cruise with some time in Denali. We didn't purchase our excursions through Princess. Instead we used a company called Shoretrips on the recommendation of our travel agent and she sure was right about them!

They were fabulous. We saw lots of eagles, whales, bears, ect. I thought it would be too early in the year but the guides knew just where to go.

All in all I was extremely pleased with my cruise. Princess could not have done a better job. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Grand Princess D526

There were 3 of us and it was my honor to sleep on the fold out bed. Way better than I thought it would be! The room was quite large and there was plenty of room for all of us ladies to store everything.

Boat Tour

We did a triple combo through Shore Trips that was Whale Watching, Mendenhal Glacier, and Salmon Bake. What a wonderful day. The people on the whale watching trip were very informative and entertaining. We got to see about 10-12 different humpback whales and I was very happy about that since we went so early in the season. The glaciers are so beautiful, and there is a visitors center at Mendenhal Glacier that has all kinds of interesting things to learn. The Salmon Bake was great. Who knew Salmon could be that good? It was a beautiful location also with lots of great photo ops.

Totem Bight State Park

We did the Totems, Eagles, and Lighthouses tour through ShoreTrips. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and I was especially glad that they provided binoculars for us to use. We got great pictures of the totem poles and tons of gorgeous eagle shots. I was a little disappointed in the lighthouse though. It seemed pretty modern and was not nearly as "romantic" as the one's on the Georgia coast. The guides were very friendly and helped us find the animals and other interesting things to see.

Wildlife Cruise

White Pass Scenic Railway

We took the White Pass railway and Bus tour to Carcross. I cannot recommend this tour highly enough! The scenery is gorgeous, and you can learn all about the hardships the hopeful goldminers went through to try to get a piece of the action.
We went up into the Yukon and had lunch at a place that also trains sled dogs and they had a bunch out that you could play with. There were also some puppies that were adorable. Also donkeys, piglets, and goats that you could feed and pet.
We toured a traditional village in Carcross, got to see a desert in the middle of nowhere in the Yukon, and saw some of the most amazing scenery of the whole trip.

Double Decker Bus Tour

(4)

My biggest complaint about Victoria is that we weren't there long enough! A beautiful city that I wish we had more time in!