Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by FLCRUISER007: Wonderful Ship and Fantastic Itinerary

FLCRUISER007
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Mediterranean Cruises

Wonderful Ship and Fantastic Itinerary

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was our 11th cruise and first European Cruise. The Liberty of the Seas is a wonderful ship. We really liked it. It was not "too big" as we thought it may be (The Allure and Oasis are too big for our taste).

Tips - Ladies unless you plan on purchases a scarf to wear, bring one. All the women in Europe wear them.

Bring money to tip your tour guides. It looked like 5 Euros was the average and they were very good. Even paying a lot for the excursions we still were compelled to tip these guides they did such a great job.

Spend your coins before you come back to the US because the currency exchange places do not take change except some take the 1 and 2 Euro Coins.

Pros: Great ship, all of the ports were fantastic (we did take excursions on every stop). Coffee in Spain is REALLY good. If you can spend a couple of days in Barcelona, do it! We stayed at the Hilton on Ave Diagnol. The hotel was very nice. We also purchased a two day metro pass in advance More of the trip and they mailed it to us. If you want to see the Sagrada Familia or Parque Guell, buy your tickets in advance before the trip. The lines to get in are really really really long. Don't miss Las Ramblas and the Boque Ria, which is located on a side street off the Ramblas around where the flower vendors are (They had really good pizza there and fruit juice)

Cons: The staff at the Port of Barcelona for Royal Caribbean for Embarkation did not have a clue as to what they were doing. This was a first time we have experienced this problem. Perhaps because they had only been there for a few weeks, but they didn't even know if there was a special line for Emerald Members. One lady came over the intercom and told everyone they could get on the ship and when we all went to get on the ship another person told us we could not. Getting off of the ship we had flights booked through the RCI and also transportation to the airport. We were told to meet in Studio 3B and after the time passed that we were supposed to be called I asked a crew member and they sent us off the ship. Had I not asked I am not sure how long we would have sat there and waited. The Staff in the port once we got off were wonderful and well organized. We immediately asked for help and the man was very appreciative that we asked so he could direct us to our luggage. We had special Delta tags and they had it separated from the other luggage.

ALSO THERE IS A VAT (Value Added Tax) added to everything you purchase on the boat when you sail out of Barcelona. They did not tell us this in advance. There was also no information on getting your taxes back on purchases made in the various countries. Save your receipts and do your homework before you go. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas 9648

The cabin was very nice and I would not hesitate to get the same size cabin again. It had a tub, which was great but not wide. I am not a big person, but even turning around in it to get up was tricky. The balcony was big enough to have both lounge chairs for sitting and for laying down. There is a walk in closet with plenty of room.

Accademia Museum

This is where David was.

Duomo Walking Tour

The port was La Spezia - We went to Florence. I am an artist and expected something more. The tour was wonderful and we saw many highlights, including the Statue of David. Florence itself was not what I expected. It was on the dirty side and did not have the Wow factor that Rome had (that was the next day). I still recommend seeing it. Don't worry about buying leather there (get leather in Sorrento at the Naples stop). It's either the stuff in the markets that is not good quality or it's in a designer shop and very expensive. There was one booth in the market that had a beautiful silk scarf I wish I had purchased. Don't let the street people selling stuff have your attention. They won't leave you alone if you talk to them at all. They are foreign, and appeared to be Asian or African (some of each). I did find some nice scarves at one of the nicer leather shops that were very pretty and reasonably priced (more gifts for friends). Women in Europe wear scarves.

Statue of David

He was beyond words. The detail was unbelievable.

Aix-en-Provence

(5)

We took a walking tour. If we could have just gone there on our own and spent the afternoon I would have preferred to do that. It was a nice town. I was able to find Wi-Fi (for those of you who care about that). There were a lot of people walking dogs without leashes and I had one run into me and hurt my foot so watch out for unleashed dogs. Otherwise a very nice place. I think I would have opted to see Marseille if I could do it over again.

Pompeii Walking Tour

Pompeii was really incredible, but the hardest walking of all of the places we went on this cruise. The ground is uneven so if you have walking difficulties be prepared. It's well worth seeing.

Sorrento

Loved Sorrento. We stopped by a farm where they make cheese. We were able to sample it with fresh tomatoes and olive oil. They also sold olive oil, Lemoncello and jam there. After that we went to Sorrento. They stopped at a wood shop where they make inlaid furniture. We were not prepared to shop there, but if you are looking for something really unique and beautiful bring lots of money with you, they will ship. They also sold smaller items. Sorrento was the best stop for leather. I wish I realized that early on. By the time I found the store it was time to go. I got a beautiful purse made there for 59 Euros. My Husband found a credit card wallet for 25 Euros (They wanted 100 in Florence for the same thing). Our tour guide Akem was a comedian that kept us entertained as well.

Colosseum

Massive and impressive. Well worth seeing. There is a bathroom there, but the tour doesn't stop so you may want to skip the coffee on the way to Rome.

Sistine Chapel

Small but impressive. If you like art you will be impressed by the detail. Plan on having your shoulders and knees covered to get in. No photography allowed and it's strictly guarded.

St. Peter's Basilica

A MUST SEE. The most incredible building I have ever been inside of in my lifetime. No attention to detail was missed. The place took my breath away. I also saw The Pieta, my favorite sculpture in the entire world. I could have spent the entire day in this building. Flash photography IS allowed. Awesome, it will amaze you.

Vatican Museums

Too much to see but well worth seeing what you can while you are there. Again, the attention to detail is really incredible. The amount of art is overwhelming. They have a nice gift shop. They sell "The Peace Cross" and special Rosaries. The Peace Cross makes a very nice gift and you can only buy them at the Vatican.

Nice Walking Tour

We loved Nice and Monaco and if we could go back there again for a week we would. Our tour guide was wonderful. The buses on all excursions were very nice. Nice had some quaint cafes. We found one off the beaten path and were the only tourists there, but were lucky enough to find an English speaking waiter. We enjoyed crepes and a café latte. This is a great place to buy French soap in the market. It made for nice gifts for friends. We also found sugar free gelato in France, that we could not find in Italy. This was my favorite stop on this cruise. I heard that the excursion that also went to Eze was nice as well. I was able to find Wi-fi