Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by clover59: Very Disappointed

Very Disappointed

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We were a party of 13 cruising together to celebrate my dad's 80th birthday.As told to me my my travel agent I went to the dinning room as soon as we boarded to change our dinner table setting as my agent could only book as high as 8 online, so off I went to change it to 13 , only to be told it was not possible ,they only have tables for 10 , needless to say we had 2 tables one behind the other where it was in no way we could enjoy dinner as a group to celebrate dad's birhtday, that in itself was disappointing ,but to top it off we were going to celebrate on the second formal night as we all were excited about it being lobster night, only to be told that because one of the men didnt have a suit jacket , they were not permitted in the dinning room ! Are you kidding me? Everyone of us were dressed up and all that was missing was a dinner jacket on one person that ruined the entire celebration, we had to celebrate without my brother being present, how sad is that? The entire meal on one More of our tables were cold and my lobster was full of little pieces of shell , I was NOT impressed at .

The buffet was ok , but not special, there were no decorated carved watermelon or other fruit and veggies as I have seen on all the other ships I have sailed on, it was more like a cafeteria nothing to write home about, the food itself was just ok. The hamburger hot dog shack was only open till 5 PM , which I think should have been open till at least 10 or 11 PM for late night snacking, even the latenight snack at the buffet was only open from 10:30pm to 11:30pm after that your out of luck unless you want to sit in your room and have room service .

The rooms were spacious and comfortable , and in the ports we had ample time to do everything that we wanted to do , no complaints about the port times but definitely a huge complaint about how far we had to walk to get to town. It was awful !

We had with us a 10 year old and a 1 & 2 year old . We could have taken the 10 year old to play in the playroom but they would not allow the younger 2 kids in even if we stayed with them. Therefor leaving absolutely nothing for the kids to do.

The entertainment onboard was lacking, the shows were short and not good with the exception of the recycled percussion group they were awesome. The had very limited activities on board and we found ourselves sitting around waiting for something to happen that we could watch or join into. We all found it quite boring, I have never been bored on a cruise ship before, but then again I had never traveled with Holland America before , and I NEVER will again ! Less

Published 06/20/14