Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by kms55: Bahamas Celebration, be careful

Bahamas Celebration, be careful

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Freeport

We have just returned from a Fathers Day Celebration Cruise to Freeport Grand Bahamas. My girlfriend would first like to say that the food staff was attentive and the entertainers were all quite good at there respective acts. We also found the food to be a very pleasant surprise. And although told the ship was “sold out” we never felt crowed or had any problems getting or having to wait to use the ship amenities like deck chairs or seating at the shows. We went on knowing that the drinks would be expensive so this was not a real surprise.

Unfortunately for us, we also experienced some severe downsides that reflected badly on our overall experience. The worst issue was that the Air conditioning in our part of the ship failed to work during the length of the cruise; our outside upgraded cabin was very small in comparison to the many cruises we previously experienced. Of course, due to the lack of A/C and at times overwhelming heat in our cabin, we tried to stay away More from that area as much as we could, escaping to cooler areas in the ship. Some of these areas also had faulty albeit not as bad as our room, air conditioning. This included “The Cove” restaurant that we paid $30.00 each to upgrade to so we could enjoy a nice meal there. Luckily the meal was good and we tried to make the best of the situation. Back to the room issue, we called 4-5 times about the A/C and reported the problem, our room keeper acknowledged the problem, and kept saying the maintenance staff would fix it eventually, but that never happened during our stay on the ship. What a way to ruin what could have been a nice cruise, especially for those taking their initial voyage; who will likely never return for another. We were never really apologized to for the inconvenience by anyone on the ship but our room Porter. Unfortunately, we were only one of quite a few cabins in our section of the ship that had to deal with this problem.

We were highly disappointed that our two snorkeling excursions were cancelled although the “Cruise Director advertised them with high praise as “Do not miss”. We were initially told that “not enough people signed up” for the initial excursion then after booking the second one; were told it was cancelled due to “choppy seas”. Neither of us believed that excuse because we were on the sea both nights and neither evening was choppy. We also went to the beach for a short time during the day and it was pretty darn calm. Worse when I did not sign up immediately for the second snorkeling adventure at what was to be additional cost to me, I was told by the women at the “Cruise Excursion Desk” that I could not cancel if I changed my mind. I wondered to myself, and asked her directly; why the cruise ship could cancel, but I couldn’t? In the end we were cancelled again and then compensated with a “Free” ride to town so we could have some sort of outing while in port. The Freeport dock area is not exactly an active or attractive spot in the first place, but at least the air conditioning on the bus downtown worked! I also thought it a shame that in order to attend the “Adult Comedy Show” we were told it would be $11.50 a head. The cruise line is after all advertising that shows are included in the price. Furthermore, for that price one still get’s the pleasure of paying exuberant prices for a drink! Bad policy in my opinion and on the edge of gauging your customer in my opinion

The shower in our room was also an issue as it was constantly spitting extremely hot water. First we are literally sweating in a very uncomfortable and hot room and to top it off; we can’t even freshen up with a cool shower. How maddening these very noticeable inconveniences became as the cruise continued. We had hoped this would be relaxing couple days on the ocean. Next time it would be just as inexpensive to book an all-inclusive hotel but we took the Celebration Cruise option because we both enjoy the cruise environment.

Needless to say, this cruise was disaster in terms of personal comfort and we feel that we were left to fend for ourselves under conditions we had no power to do anything about. We were at no time really apologized to for what we experienced and because of these reasons we will never recommend that our friends (we live in the area where the cruise departs from) or relatives take a chance on this cruise ship or cruise line in the future. Overall we would grade it a “D-“. Less

Read more Bahamas Celebration cruise reviews >>