Pacific Pearl Cruise Review by Tiggy37: DO NOT travel with P&O!!!

Tiggy37

Entertainment Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

DO NOT travel with P&O!!!

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Auckland

Some good points but a few totally ruined the overall experience

We booked 10 months in advance to ensure side by side and mid ship rooms and selected "no changes, no upgrades" so we were not moved (husband was to be 9 days post knee surgery & we have 4 children) at some stage our rooms were moved, we never had any notification of this, when we received e-tickets 3 months out, I rung to correct and spent an hour pleading my case to staff who all but said "we don't care, and tough luck" they did promise a return call when they looked into it further......call never came (this happened 3 times, 3 hours, 3 never returned calls)

Once on the boat, restaurant & room staff were great, very friendly, cocktails a reasonable AUD $9.90 each and were well made, nice coffee shop and retail shopping was good, kids enjoyed kids clubs, really good quality entertainment, food was ok although they ask how you like meat cooked but everyone gets well done or raw. My room that More was moved to front of ship was like a roller-coaster and the motion sickness I suffered caused me to faint on day 2 and receive a head injury on door frame so first few days were spent in bed recovering.

Shore tours review is mixed, the snorkelling & turtle sanctuary in Vanuatu were great, guides were friendly & informative. On shore tour for Lifou, ship shore tour staff said we could walk to other side of island and sit on beach for no cost, this was incorrect and after walking a wobbly hubby & 4 children all the way there we were not allowed on beach without a pass only sold on boat, returned to boat and passes had sold out on first day.

IMPORTANT: We learnt the hard way that standard P&O policy is any shore tours booked through P&O website automatically charge as adults and if you don't notice & have it changed on first day they will not correct it!! This I found nothing short of fraud!! They have birth dates of all passengers on booking, (the system wont let you put 4 children under 16 in a room without adults so it can definitely pick up their ages) but it will not book shore tours at children's prices, there is some VERY small print on back of ticket envelope saying to check tickets & charges, this is their disclaimer and they use it to get out of having to pay the extra funds back, but with the huge amount of paperwork to read each day I think they rely on it being missed to ensure some extra revenue. This cost us an extra $200 and shore tour staff were arrogant and dismissive on discussing the issue.

They also charge multiple donations to different causes to your room without asking permission.

Overall I love cruising and we will do it again, especially as a family as kids enjoyed themselves, but would never travel on again nor recommend P&O Less

Read more Pacific Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pacific Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Pacific Pearl 10128

with any cruise go mid ship, as low as possible, I was moved and not happy