Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by bclinton

Member Name: bclinton
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

First Time Cruiser - Mixed Emotions

I have mixed emotions. First of all this was our first cruise ever. My wife and I along with my 81 year old mother - it was her birthday. We arrived in Seattle the day before and used Prime Limo service to take us to the Belltown Inn downtown. Prime charged us $45 and we gave a $15 tip. First lesson learned. Stay at a hotel by the airport with free shuttles. Then schedule a pickup for the morning of the cruise to take you to the dock. We had to pay another $25 to go from belltown to the dock for about a one mile ride. I do not recommend Prime Limo service. They quoted me a rate on the last leg (from ship to hotel at the end) than when they come pick me up they go up 5 bucks.

Now for the cruise. The ship was nice. Our room steward was great. We tipped him 100 bucks. He was grateful. I assume the ship does not pay these guys much and he was really good. After a day or 2 it became obvious the cruise ship was on a money grab. Bingo was a ripoff, Deal or no Deal was a ripoff....the casino was a ripoff......the shops were a ripoff....for instance....with bingo the cheapest pack was $39 for 3 games and 3 cards (you could buy more expensive packs also) the total price pool for the 3 games we played was about $500 for all 3 games. I looked around and there were a couple of hundred of people in the room. Lets just say 100 have bought cards. That's an insane take by the house. The slots payed about 2/3 was a normal slot machine payed. In other words if you were used to seeing 15 quarters returned on a 3 quarter machine like me you would only see 10. I felt stupid wasting my money but after 4-5 days there is not much else to do with your time. The food was ok....nothing to write home about......We had a mini suite which was fine for the 3 adults in the room. The balcony was nice. Here's a tip for the shops. Do not buy anything on the ship. The same jacket we paid $59 for on Monday was found at Ketchikan on Friday for $19. The Glacier in Juneau was very pretty. Take time to go to the waterfall. We rented a car in town for $57 so we could make our own excursion and save a few bucks.

Publication Date: 06/18/14