American Queen Cruise Review by starman1942: Steam Boating on the heartland of America's rivers

starman1942
Member Since 2014

Steam Boating on the heartland of America's rivers

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Other

There are those of us who long for the romance of travel in a bygone era. We were born too late. We search for the opportunity of riding the rails behind a true steam engine in passenger cars from over 100 years ago. And there are those of us who desire traveling the heartland of America's rivers on a steam driven riverboat.

But wait! We were not born too late. Relive the adventure of paddle wheel travel on board the American Queen.

We just finished breakfast on the front porch of this boat, watching it sail from Memphis, TN. We are on our way up the Ohio RIver with Cincinatti as our destination.

Our stateroom has double doors opening up onto the veranda.

To put it mildly, this riverboat is nothing short of being magnificent. Though the American Queen was built in 1995, it radiates everything of a bygone era. The Mark Twain Gallery resembles a grand library with highly polished furniture and plush seating. One deck below is the main dining room that More leaves one breathless when one looks up at he fancy scrollwork above dining tables. The tables themselves gleam with gold colored glass chargers.

There is full theater on board that wa built to the style of the Ford Theater where President LIncoln was kiled. (They call the theater a 'Saloon'.) The balcony side room even has a special chair where our president sat. Every evening there is a stage show with different performances every night.

Traveling on roads paralleling the route of our steamboat are three American Queen buses. When the boat docks at various ports, the buses offer free "hop on - hop off" tours of the cities and towns. For example, when we reach Paducah, we will be able to see famous quilt museum as well as a preserved railroad depot.

I hope that you can surmise from my message that I absolutely love this boat. When I was on the Queen for my first trip a couple of years ago, my attention was on where we were going. This time, I admire the attention to detail the owners have made on the boat itself. The American Queen is the last of the true, steam-driven, paddle wheel vessels that travel on our rivers.

Part of the charm is that the boat is only 420 ft. long. That limits the number of passengers the Queen can carry, a delicious difference from ocean going cruisers that carry thousands of people,

Another small note: The crew are most helpful and always have smiles on their faces. The fact that the owners of the American Queen hire only people from the United States tells me that they feel a debt to have our countrymen on board.

I absolutely love this boat and plan on being on board for two more cruises next year. Less

Read more American Queen cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's American Queen Review >>

Cabin review: American Queen 304

Our cabin appears on the Texas Deck with two doors that open up onto a verandah. The stateroom has a queen size bed, a plush chair, desk as well as drawers in front of a vanity mirror and closet space. A full bathroom is included. The room is cleaned every day by a lady who is very pleasant to talk to. We are two doors away from the front porch with seating under roof. The front porch also has an enclosed dining area where buffet meals are offered as an alternative to meals in the posh dining room.