Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by White Rabbit Wonderland: Carnival Sunshine: A Mediocre Fun Ship

White Rabbit Wonderland
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Southern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Sunshine: A Mediocre Fun Ship

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We arrived to find embarkation was indeed a breeze. Even taxi service to the port was simple ($16 total from most any hotel in Cocoa Beach for all three adults and our luggage). We were on board within 20 minutes from the taxi drop off time, and things moved along without much difficulty.

Once on board, we stopped off on the Lido deck, grabbed some lunch, and had zero trouble finding a seat in the Havana Bar (deck 9, aft). The food was good and the place was clean. Tables were bussed quickly and the staff did a remarkable job keeping the place looking top notch. The staff members weren't exactly friendly, but they weren't outright rude either...not a big deal, but not the usual friendly discourse I'd experienced on other cruises (Carnival and Royal Caribbean are the only two lines I've cruised).

Our room was ready earlier than expected, and all was well in that regard. Again, our cabin steward had the same aloof demeanor we had experienced on the Lido deck, but I'm More not entirely put off by that.

The cabin itself was pretty darn noisy. If it butted up against something (the door and door jamb, the closet cabinet and the wall, etc.) then it made noise. It popped and rattled, and rattled and popped. Thankfully, I'm not a light sleeper. I mention it only for anyone who is a light sleeper.

That being said, I will tell you this: The Sunshine is a noisy ship. I'm serious. It's noisy. While walking down the halls I could hear other guests talking within their rooms (not a mere murmur, I mean clear, easy to understand words), I could hear other guests showering...and I could even hear them using the restroom. I won't mention the other things I could hear (and hear VERY well).

Honestly, even that stuff didn't bother me much. I didn't have any small children with me, so no need to explain any strange noises. I did find myself very thankful that my cabin was no where near deck 6, forward. The noise from the Liquid Lounge during the Epic Rock show was unbelievable. The drinking glasses on the steward's cart actually shook from the bass. The Liquid Lounge also converts into the ship's night club after the evening shows...so I leave you with that tidbit.

The ports were wonderful. Aruba was a bit of a cluster when we first arrived. It took an excessively long time to get off the ship. Excursions for Aruba seemed overpriced for the most part. You are much better off to find your own excursion away from the cruise line if you feel comfortable doing so. Curacao was wonderful. It's a walking port...you can walk and walk and I highly recommend doing just that. There is much to see and you won't regret it. Grand Turk is tiny, but the ship docks at a nice beach. The water is great, and again, you can walk the beaches for a nice experience.

I did encounter several more aloof, standoffish staff members during the cruise, and even a few downright rude ones too. The photographers were very rude (excluding one...ONE). They seemed bothered when we would approach (we always tried to wait to take pictures during a lull), and sometimes I would catch an eye roll whenever a family would show up with kids. We finally just stopped taking any pictures whatsoever. The guy in the deli was more focused on chatting up his coworker (kudos to her for rebuffing his VERY PERSISTENT attempts to date her) than taking care of the line. A few other staff members seemed to have the Sunshine aloofness too, and I soon realized that if they weren't flat out indifferent to you (as guests), they were wrapped up in each other (whether it be arguing, flirting, or making plans for an outing).

Please don't misunderstand...I don't need coddling while cruising and I don't expect an abundance of attention. This cruise was just different from the beginning, and it truly felt like there was some sort of staff morale issue on this cruise.

Even with everything I mentioned, we still had a good cruise. The ports were exciting, the ship itself was cleaned quickly and efficiently, and there was something to do (or not do) whenever you wanted. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 11007

The pullman is ridiculously uncomfortable. If you have more than two in the room, choose another cabin with a sofa bed. The closet makes an incredible amount of noise. The thing pops and rattles like crazy (no, not the hangers inside...it's the cabinet itself).Location is great. Easy access to Serenity. Near the end of a quiet hallway to nowhere. If you are not a light sleeper (the popping closet) and have no more than two in the room (the pullman is a primitive torture device), then this room is for you!