Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by NICKYCAT

Member Name: NICKYCAT
Cruise Date: March 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Carnival Spriit Cruise....best ever!!

I can't believe some of the bad reviews I read on this site about Carnival Spirit Cruises!! We love our cruises on Carnival Spirit. Our last one was in March this year, and we have another one booked for July this year and also November this year. This July cruise will be our 5th cruise on the Spirit...we can't wait!! We have done 16 cruises in all, including 5 on P&O (mainly on Pacific Jewel), 1 on NCL Pride of America, 3 on Radiance of the Seas, 2 on Celebrity Solstice and 1 disgusting one on Sun Princess last Christmas, and 4 on Carnival Spirit...so we think we are well qualified to speak on cruises!! We are certainly not first-time cruisers with nothing to compare this ship with!! And we did do 7 cruises last year, and one already this year, so our memory isn't dimmed by time!! Obviously, it is a very personal thing, whether a person enjoys a cruise ship or not. We are in our mid-60's but love to have lots of fun on cruises, and out of all the ships we have sailed on, we love Carnival Spirit the best!! The staff are so friendly and amazing, especially Desi and Isabella who are maître-des of the Main Dining room, where we find the food is always delicious!! On other ships the maître des couldn't care less about you, we have found...not friendly at all. The omelettes at breakfast are delicious and the best of any ship we have been on, the salads at lunch are very varied and fresh, the toasted rolls and sandwiches are gorgeous, and the sweets are all home-made and delicious and not dry and tasteless like all the other ships we have been on!! The entertainment is the most professional and best...especially the big production shows like 'The Big Easy'!! P&O do have great production shows too, and the Princess production shows on the Christmas Cruise were also good (thank goodness, as everything else was disgusting!!), but none of the shows are as spectacular as the Spirit shows!! I am a music teacher so I do have some knowledge of what goes into producing a wonderful show, as I have done many throughout my 45-year teaching career!! How people could say they are dreadful shows is a mystery to me!! Yes, I will agree that the décor of this ship is not to my liking and lots of it is quite ugly, but I can see that they were going for a carnival, fun theme, like Las Vegas over-the-top look, and even though it is not my taste, I wouldn't let that spoil a great cruise experience when everything else on this ship is so great!! We actually turned down a free 12-night cruise in March, on Celebrity Solstice, in a concierge balcony stateroom, to NZ, as we already had a 9-day Pacific Islands cruise booked on Carnival Spirit, and we knew everything would be better on the Spirit, and it was!! Great decision!! The free cruise was offered to us by Celebrity, and was a one-off offer, but we still preferred to go on the Spirit!!

We have done many cruises to the South Pacific, and the ships often go to Noumea on a Sunday when everything is closed...this is just how their cruise schedules work...can't blame Carnival for that!! We only ever got off there once, anyway, on a weekday, and it was a disgusting dirty place, so we love our port days in Noumea, as we always stay on the ship and have lots of fun!! On one of our cruises on Carnival Spirit, my son and daughter-in-law came with us, with my little granddaughter, who loved the Kid's Club, and never wanted to leave!! We are both teachers and we often speak to the kids on the ship about the various Kid's Clubs and they all seem to love them!! So, people need to experience Carnival Spirit for themselves to make up their own minds about it. We find on all ships there are lots of grouchy people who want to complain, but we go on the ships to have FUN, and this is what you get on Carnival. We don't drink, by the way, so we have lots of fun without alcohol...therefore, the prices of it don't bother us. We love to watch the activities during the day, play bingo, listen to music, enjoy the fresh air on deck on great days, enjoy great shows, bands, comedians (some are funny, some are not...personal opinion!), enjoy the casino, and love to eat the delicious food (some of the food at the buffet is cold and unappealing, I'll agree with that, but we only eat there during the day, and we choose the nice things that we like). We love the main dining room food, and the entertainment each night...that party atmosphere doesn't happen on other ships in the dining room, and most of the food in the dining room on other ships is inedible to us!! So, go on this FUNSHIP with an open mind, and you will have a great cruise!! Don't be put off by some of the bad reviews you read!! If you are a happy, positive person, you'll have a great time and enjoy the fun atmosphere. If you're not a FUN person, go on Celebrity Solstice with all the old people who want to go to bed at 9pm or earlier, and where they keep repeating the individual artists in the Theatre, where the shows are amateurish, the Bingo is unplayable, the food is inedible, and the staff are rude!! The ship however, is new and magnificent, but this doesn't equate to FUN!! Yes, we used to think P&O was alright too, until we tried other ships, and then it went to the bottom of our list, however that spot was taken over by Sun Princess after our Christmas cruise, with Carnival Spirit placed firmly at the top!! Yes, I agree, they certainly don't seem paranoid about the hand-cleaner on the Spirit, but it is the only ship that we haven't been on where there hasn't been an outbreak of Noroviris!! Go figure!! We spent 13 nights on Sun Princess at Christmas with people going down like flies with Noroviris...the ship was on red alert, and that wasn't fun...we didn't get it fortunately, but we are always very diligent about our hand-washing!! We spent 12 nights on Celebrity Solstice last year with Noroviris!! We have done a cruise on Radiance of the Seas with noroviris, and a couple on P&O, but never once in 4 cruises on Carnival Spirit...nor have I heard of it on this ship from the many people we know who have gone on this ship from our recommendation and loved it!! Bring on 23rd July for our next great cruise on Carnival Spirit!! Woohoo!! Can't wait!!

Publication Date: 06/18/14