Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Oxfordcruiser49: Wonderful Solo Experience

Wonderful Solo Experience

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Middle East
Embarkation: Dubai

I am prompted to write this review as I have read little or nothing about the solo traveller experience on the Queen Elizabeth and was pleasantly surprised. As background I am a single female in my early 60's.

I booked this trip prior to taking a 28 day trans Pacific on the Celebrity Solstice so I anticipated a similar lack of provision for, or recognition of, the solo traveller - and consequently was not particularly looking forward to this cruise (or voyage as Cunard called it). On the first day at sea there was a reception for solo travellers at 12 noon (with fizz provided) in the Yacht Club hosted by Lauren the Social Hostess. There we met fellow solos along with the Gentleman Hosts. There was then a daily meet over coffee in the Lido, several lunches and finally a farewell reception before arrival in Southampton. Lauren got to know most of us and always had a friendly chat when out and about.

Through these sessions I met many interesting fellow solos (mainly More female it must be said) and chummed up with different ones for triva, excursions, nights bopping in the Yacht Club or just chatting over a drink. I am not a ballroom dancer but did observe the gentleman hosts making sure that any unaccompanied lady in the Queens Room was invited to dance - and one of them even got me to shuffle round the floor. I have read elsewhere complaints that the gentlemen favour certain ladies and this I did see happening at times but this was invevitable as several of the ladies who danced regularly were "round the worlders" so they had been dancing together for 3 months!

Another welcome offering were the watercolour classes where Freddie (our wonderful teacher) had everything set up every day at sea from 10am until 2.30pm so we could spend as much or as little time as we wanted on our "art". The art kit we purchased for US$35 was great value and Freddie instructed us on its use and then helped us as much or as little as we wanted rather than giving formal classes. This was another great way to meet people.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ship - thought it was beautifully appointed and well designed with lots of open spaces so it never felt crowded. I never experienced queues in the Lido, found service in the Britannia Restaurant unhurried but timely and found the crew generally polite and welcoming. Yes I could find faults here and there (mainly the quality of the meals) but nothing that would stop me from going on Cunard again - or recommend it to others. Less

Read more Queen Elizabeth cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Elizabeth Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Elizabeth Balcony Deck 7 7019

Typical Balcony Cabin. Useful storage under the beds with room for suitcases. A little bumpy in rough weather being so far forward.