Carnival Valor Cruise Review by lostdart1: EXCELLENT TIME ON THE VALOR

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

EXCELLENT TIME ON THE VALOR

Sail Date: June 2014
Embarkation: San Juan

This was my first Carnival cruise. I was traveling with my sister (60) nephew (2), father (85) and myself (56). We had two ocean view rooms on deck two; one of which was handicap accessible for my father. The rooms were more then satisfactory even on this low deck. Some noise as we entered or left port. Our rooms were aft.

I was actually very impressed with the food. I consider myself a bit of a foodie. We had early seating in the dining room. I had done my research on the menus and mostly ordered from recommendations. I wasn't disappointed. We ate in the buffet at breakfast and lunch. I was very impressed with the lunch choices in the regular buffet line. Breakfast was the usual fare. There were some great items. Eggs Benedict stand out. Scrambled eggs were not the best but there were other choices for eggs at the omelet stations if you wanted to wait in line.

I tried all the other lunch buffet options except the burrito bar. PIzza was very good; Deli sandwiches More were OK, (make sure and ask for a fat sandwich); Mongolian Wok always had a line. I liked the idea, tried it twice and it was nothing special; Fish and chips section had some nice choices. Fries all over the ship were great. (think McDonald fries) Desserts in the buffet were on a whole somewhat bland. They looked better then they tasted.

The taste bar when I was able to get there had some nice items. I tried room service for breakfast one day. it came on time. Full breakfast room service would be great.

I treated my nephew, an aspiring chef to the Chef's table. It was just OK although the wine and Champaign flowed. I had trouble understanding the chef with his thick accent. I would not spend the money again.

The ship's staff on all levels were exemplary. There was always lots to do.....make some time to do trivia which was always fun. The shows and comedians were always good but not great.

In spite of this port intensive cruise I spent most of the time on the ship for two reasons: my elderly father and the fact that I live in St Thomas. I always enjoyed the peace and quiet of the port days on the ship anyway.

Both embarkation and debarkation were a breeze.

The ship was in OK condition. It probably is in need of overhaul. Things like rust around the pool, stained chairs and carpeting were apparent.

Carnival needs to better identify bathrooms throughout the ship. My father had some issues sometimes finding a bathroom.

A lot of tight spaces on the ship, including bathroom stalls, dining room and buffet tables were hard to walk through since they were so close together. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Oceanview Main 2465

Cabin was handicap accessible. It had extra large bathroom which was nice.