Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by jeannemacl: Hit and Miss Service

Hit and Miss Service

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

The ship is not really "old," but it feels small and dark service was all over the board. We had one of the best room stewards - ever, but our room was a real disappointment. We try to always book a balcony cabin - we love sitting out there sipping wine and watching the sea. From our cabin - and all others on both sides of the sip from Deck 7 up to deck 9 have an obstructed view because of the way the life boats are attached to the side and "roofed" with a 12-foot wide hard strip the full length of the ship! When we sat down and looked out all we saw was the "cover" and then the sea beyond. We never saw the dock-side. We felt cheated.

The Front Desk personnel were welcoming and helpful, and the Cruise Director was always available. The biggest problem was our waiter in the dining room. One evening I arrived first - my husband was to follow, We had been at a cocktail party and I had a full glass of champagne with raspberry liquor that I put on the table. When the "head" waiter More handed me the menu he knocked the drink all over the table, all over me, and all over the chair. I did keep cool, but left to change, I was gone about 15 minutes, found my husband and we re-entered the dining room. The head waiter pulled out my chair - and expected me to sit in the wet chair at the wet table, on dishes full of my spilled drink!!! I refused to sit - as did my husband - and the head steward came rushing over speaking to the waiter is his own language. The linens, dishes, and chair were replaced.

The champagne bar is fun! They offer several specials and some "classes" in drink mixing and the Safari Bar is fun and beautiful for large groups. RCCL does treat its Diamond and Diamond Plus cruisers well and were invited to spend a couple hours every evening in a well-appointed, small bar area on Deck 13 enjoying wine or beer and appetizers. We met some great people. The itinerary with round-trip San Juan suited us perfectly and we were able to visit some favorite Islands. We would really have to think about ever sailing on the Jewel of the Seas again. Less

Read more Jewel of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Jewel of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Jewel of the Seas 7050

We try to always book a balcony cabin - we love sitting out there sipping wine and watching the sea. But - from our cabin aft - and all others on both sides of the sip from Deck 7 up to Deck 9 have an obstructed view because of the way the life boats are attached to the side and "roofed" with a 12-foot wide hard strip the full length of the ship! When we sat down and looked out all we saw was the "cover" and then the sea beyond. We never saw the dock-side. We felt cheated.