Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by susonka: Great time on Grandeur

Great time on Grandeur

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

My family and I cruised with Grandeur of the Seas during May 2014. We really enjoyed ourselves. The Port of Baltimore is very easy, well organized and fast. The weather was wonderful, so we were able to go up to the pool right away. There was great music and line dances. It was a lot of fun.

Our room was nice. It was an ocean view. It was clean, great water pressure and plenty of hot water always. We had enough room to be comfortable. We did have a noisy neighbor - not the cruise line's fault but quite annoying. She yelled constantly and screamed every time she laughed. We called guest services as she carried on until after midnight one night, and security immediately contacted her room and she was finally quiet. Our room steward was awesome. Really kind, friendly and was great with my 5 year old son.

Dining room service was also fantastic. Our servers were so nice, really attentive and genuinely friendly. They also were so kind to my son! The food was okay. I found More things in general to be a little bland, but not awful. Certain dishes were better than others. I think the desserts can be improved upon. Some of the fish and Italian dishes were very good. We enjoyed ourselves and thought the dining room was beautiful.

The poolside entertainment was a lot of fun. We loved the live band and the DJ. The deck could get crowded but we always found seats.

Getting on and off of the boat was very easy and well organized. The crew was very friendly and helpful. We liked all of the ports. We went to Coco Beach in Florida. We took the shuttle service with no problems. The ocean was a little rough, but my son loved it. The water was nice and warm. The beach is not like a Caribbean white sand beach, but clean and we had a great time playing in the water. The beach was a little crowded but we had no problem finding a spot.

Nassau was our next stop. It is okay. I would not wonder the streets too far. Seemed a little shady to me. We got day passes at the British Colonial Hilton. This was a lot of fun. The hotel is gorgeous and we were able to use the pool, the lounge chairs and had a voucher for food and drinks at the bar. The staff was nice and the food and drinks were great.

CocoCay was our last stop. It was beautiful. We enjoyed the food provided by the ship and loved the nice calm ocean. The ground was rocky in spots under the water, so water shoes are needed. We saw a lot of fish and a sting ray. Awesome! My son spotted an iguana too. We had a great day here!

Overall, the ship is a little bit older, but the main areas of the boat are very pretty and clean. The crew is extremely friendly and make you feel very welcome! My son also loved the children's program. We were totally comfortable leaving him there.

There were Norovirus outbreaks during the previous month, so staff were at the Windjammer buffet entrance placing hand sanitizer on everyone's hands. Some people complained but we thought this was great. Who wants to be sick on their vacation? My son also had to use hand sanitizer before going in the kids program which we appreciated.

We didn't do any of the beverage packages, but the drinks were affordable. The drink specials were also a great deal. I didn't think anything was more than at an average bar.

We had read this ahead of time, and it was true, there are times when it seems like you can smell some sewage. This was not all the time, but occasionally in our room and around the centrum bar heading to the cabins. It is a faint smell but noticeable.

Overall, we had a blast. The ship has many pretty areas to relax in and there was always something to do. There is plenty of food at the buffet with a good variety and the dining room food was decent with some room for improvement. The crew is friendly, professional and organized. We would do this cruise again. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas 3040

Great! Our room was large enough to be comfortable, the water pressure was great and the room was clean. Our room steward was fantastic - friendly and attentive. We were close to the elevator so this was convenient for getting around. We did not hear any noise from the elevator. We had a noisy neighbor, but this is not the cruise's fault. We could hear the ship's engine, but it was not too loud and we got used to it right away.

(5.5)

We loved CocoCay. It is beautiful. It is a private island in the middle of the Caribbean. The water is so clear and such a pretty blue color. There was plenty of room to relax. The water is very calm and you can see all kinds of fish. We even saw a huge sting ray. We had fun walking on the nature trail and saw hermit crabs and an iguana. There is also a rooster and peacock. We had no problem getting on and off of the ship. We were ferried over in small boats and had a very short wait when coming and going. The ship provides food which is really good - ribs, beans and rice...There is also a drink of the day which was very good! It was about $8.00 and included the plastic container it came in. This is a great port!

Read 219 CocoCay Reviews

Nassau is okay. There are shops immediately off of the ship. The people are not too pushy but the prices in the straw market are not cheap. We walked to the public beach - Junkaroo. We did not feel comfortable there. It seemed deserted with some people kind of lurking around. Maybe if more tourists were there it would have been better! We wound up getting day passes at the Hilton. This is an easy walk from the ship and a lot of fun. The hotel is gorgeous and the people are nice. Day passes are $65 with a $40 food and drink credit. The food and drinks were great. I had a passionfruit daiquiri which was quite good. We were able to use the beach, towels, lounging furniture and the pool. We had a blast. Great hotel! The bar closes at 5p so this is good to remember when using there voucher!

Read 2608 Nassau Reviews

Cocoa Beach

(4)

This is a nice beach. It reminds me of the Jersey shore as opposed to a white sand Caribbean beach. It was a little crowded, but we found a spot with no problem. The water is a little rough with a lot of waves - my 5 year old loved it. The water was nice and warm. We had no problem getting on the shuttle back and forth to the ship. We had a very short wait both times. The shops around the beach are normal gift shops and some chain stores like Walgreens. We went through the Ron Jon gift store where there are some good deals to be found.