Royal Princess Cruise Review by TNcruiser1: Beautiful Ship + Wonderful Crew = Very Enjoyable Cruise

TNcruiser1
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Royal Princess Transatlantic Cruises

Beautiful Ship + Wonderful Crew = Very Enjoyable Cruise

Sail Date: April 2014
Destination: Transatlantic

It was with some trepidation that my wife and I booked a cruise for our 40th anniversary on Royal Princess. Reading the reviews on Cruise Critic was worrisome. Fortunately the results from our 26 day cruise (15 day Transatlantic and 11 day Baltic back to back) were wonderful. We had a great time and would gladly cruise on Royal again. In fact we met several couples who had previously cruised on Royal and were back on the ship as well as couples booking future cruises on the ship. Now how bad can that be?

This isn’t to say everything was perfect, but overall the problems were small and the positives were very strong. I was amazed by some of the issues people had on my cruise. People sure can be hyper picky. I guess it is like many things in life. People who have a positive attitude will find the good things and those that are always looking for a problem will find them. I would hate to be among the latter group.

The ship is beautiful and very tastefully done. We More had a mini-suite which was very comfortable for this long cruise. Is it as big as some junior suites we have had on other ships? Probably not, but it was very comfortable nonetheless. The balcony wasn’t big, but it was fine to sit out and enjoy some fresh air. (Being mid-ship gave us a balcony that is a bit larger than the standard ones.) There is a curtain that can be drawn between the bed area and the living area in these staterooms that gives quite a bit of privacy. I can see 4 people in one of these staterooms without much problem.

The in-room TV is the best that I have ever had. There are many current movies available. Even ones not out on DVD yet. With the long sea days of the transatlantic crossing, we got to watch a lot of good movies. It is also fun to watch the Movies Under The Stars.

The food was very good. It was sometimes fantastic, but never less than good. Alfredos is wonderful for pizza. Horizon Court and Bistro are the best buffet we have ever experienced. The buffet had great selection and quality. In addition we had no problem finding a place to sit.

The shows were good and the theatre is fine. Had no problem getting seats and they were comfortable. If you are super heavy, they may be a tight fit which may be the source of some of the complaints.

The elevators were rarely a problem. Over 26 days, I think we had to wait a while 3 times. On occasion we found the lack of mid-ship stairs an inconvenience, but one only needs to walk forward or aft to get to stairs.

The staff was wonderful. They were helpful and pleasant all of the time. Our cabin steward did an outstanding job. The captain was charming and ran everything very efficiently.

One area I did find weak was the Internet service. The service is expensive and very slow or not working at all. Mid-Atlantic the signal must be spotty and it shows. Paying for the time you connect to the ship’s servers is a terrible way to bill this service. Billing should be based on the throughput you get (like for a cell based service) not for connect time. I paid for time when nothing would come through. On the positive side, it allowed me to forget my business and focus on having a good time!

Embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale was very good. Disembarkation and transfer to the airport in Copenhagen was perfect. Very well done! This is a large ship with up to 3,600 passengers (not the over 4,000 some have said) and the logistics were handled very well. The Princess transfer was well worth it.

The itinerary was great. We love sea days and these did not disappoint. Our ports were interesting even though some we had been in previously. Tallinn, Estonia was a nice surprise. We didn’t know much about it, but found it very enjoyable. We did a self-guided walking tour and it was a lot of fun.

So if you want to enjoy a cruise on a beautiful ship, Royal Princess is a great choice. It is definitely a ship we would sail again. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Royal Princess R416

Nice cabin. Curtain between bedroom and living room gives great privacy. Lots of storage space and good sized bathroom with tub. Two decks up is one of the 2 sea walks. Can look up and see people's feet. Overhang provides shade which we like (skin cancer an issue). If you want sun on your balcony, go forward or aft, but not mid ship and high.