Insignia Cruise Review by bailey59

Member Name: bailey59
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Athens (Piraeus)
Destination: Europe - Black Sea
See More About: Insignia Cruise Reviews | Europe - Black Sea Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Insignia Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Insignia Deck Plans
Part of the Black Sea cruise!

This is the first time I cruised with Oceania. I picked the cruise because the itinerary is one I have wanted to do for a long time. Unfortunately, because of the situation in Ukraine we were unable to go to Sevastapol, Yalta or Odessa. This was not Oceania's fault but they were very sneaky in not informing us until it was too late to cancel. And worse was to come - we lost 3 ports and they didn't put any others in! We had one day cruising, 2 nights in Constanta instead of one and arrived in Istanbul a day early. Everyone on board had complained to Oceania before and during the cruise but management in Miami ignored it all and we were offered nothing to compensate for our disappointment.

Now for the good things. The ship is small so there is no scrum in the buffet or getting off the ship in port. It's tastefully furnished and the food is superb. Our cabin was fine, kept clean, although the bathroom is a bit small. Service is first rate in the restaurant but could be a bit slow in the bars. All the staff are very friendly and efficient. But ... there is very little atmosphere. It was like a ghost ship after the entertainment finished at 10.30; most people went to bed! Now I'm 63 but I still like to dance and enjoy myself on holiday but the main lounge had a terrible 'disco' every night with music being played by the Cruise Director on his iPad while he sat at the bar. Only usually 10-12 people up there. Most people we spoke to liked the small ship experience and weren't interested in the entertainment.

We did private tours in port but from what we heard the ship's tours were very expensive and not as good as ours. Several people told me the ship's tours were very poor value. I think we were in Constanta for 2 nights so the ship could sell their overnight tour to Bucharest for £500 per person! Otherwise our 4 hour tour covered everything there was to see so the second day was a waste. And it wasn't a pleasant place to wander on your own.

After the appalling treatment from Oceania, I won't be back. This was an expensive cruise and I have to ask myself - was it worth £1000 per person more than a Celebrity cruise? And the answer is a resounding 'NO'.

So Oceania have lost my custom and next time I want a special cruise, I'll go with Azamara.

Publication Date: 06/14/14