Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Jason_Harrell77: A Good Trip for a Good Value

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Western Caribbean Cruises

A Good Trip for a Good Value

Sail Date: July 2013

My wife and I decided to take a quick 4 day cruise on 4th of July weekend in 2013. It was our second cruise so we had learned a few good lessons about cruising, which made the Embarkation and overall trip smoother. First, be sure to pay the extra $50 for the Faster to the Fun upgrade. Well worth it! Especially for debarkation you can be off the ship and to the airport by 9-9:30.

So the Victory is a bit worn, but overall well-maintained. It lacks the upgrades found on newer ships, such as the Guy's Burger Joint, but is a upper-midsize to large ship with more balconies to select than the other older ships that make these 4 days trips. The ship was definitely not as nice as the Legend, but was fine for a relaxing getaway. I wasn't expecting luxury, so we were fine.

The rooms - need an upgrade, but were clean and the crew did a great job of taking care of us. I do not know this for a fact, but it seems like Carnival uses this ship and the 4 day cruises to train new crew More so there was a fairly large variation in the level of service. For example, room stewards were great, servers in the Main Dining Room were a total disaster. The "fun crew" and cruise director were great, the bar staff and cooks left a lot to be desired - it was hard to get pizza, burgers or a drink at times and they sure didn't seem in a hurry to help.

So a few things to know: the ports of call on this cruise are great. Key West is really fun, and there's no need to book an excursion. We just walked around and took a tour on the trolley. Cozumel is always nice - especially once you make it past the locals harassing you at the port. We did a Mexican Cooking and beach getaway at a resort, which we really enjoyed. Now for the negatives....they are really skimpy with the food on this cruise. I am no hog, but they would often shut down buffets leaving on 1-2 places to eat creating huge lines. When we got back on the ship after Cozumel, there was literally no food open. They were having a "Mexican Feast" that night at 11, but my wife and I never eat that late and the 2 places that were serving food until then (pizza and sandwiches) had lines backup up half the length of the ship. Poor planning on Carnival's part there. Several passengers became upset and a hoarding/survival mentality began to develop. We just gave up and went back to our room. Later we made our way back down for the very tasty Mexican Feast - but I'm not a fan of eating burritos at 12 AM.

All-in-all, this trip is good as long as you go into it aware of what you're getting. You're getting 2 cool stops on a 4 day, which is rare, and a decent size ship with a good number of balconies.

I recommend the trip, it's a good value. It won't blow your mind, but you would be hard pressed to find a better value for a quick vacay. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>