“Not of the usual standard”
Cruise review of Thomson Spirit

Dtw278 Thomson Spirit 4 Not of the usual standard
Dtw278
Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Finally the date arrived 27th May 2014 to go on a long awaited Baltic cruise on Thomson Spirit from Newcastle. Travelling from the midlands was easy .... straight up the M! / A1 , the port handling and embarkation were a dream, on the ship in a jiffy. Sadly overall the weather was to be against us throughout the cruise but that's northern Europe for you. The cruise itinerary started with a dash across the North sea and into the Kiel Canal where we were immediately held up by other canal traffic ensuring a late arrival at the first port and almost all excursions being cancelled. Not a good start after being at sea for a day and a half ( and I am sure not the first occasion this has happened) On the return leg we travelled up and around Jutland to return to UK .. (Why could the itinerary not happen the other way around guaranteeing no loss of excursions ?) The overall cruise was not bad but let down by the food ( normally one of the excellent items on any Thomson cruise) In the lido restaurant of the twelve days a roast meat was one of the offerings but on eight of the days there were no potatoes or vegetables to go with it, only pasta or rice. Every day was more than two thirds Asian related food curries etc... the menu choices were often badly constructed especially for a predominately white british clientele . Having travelled on several Thomson ships in several cruise areas I felt this cruise had lost the shine that makes Thomson so special. Talking to many of the other passengers a similar feeling existed. I feel sure you will be able to state facts and figures from the final holiday surveys handed out but in our experience these are filled out more in sympathy with the excellent staff you employ to ensure they are not chastised by our comments.

I am about to go on another cruise to the med in Sept on Island Escape and I trust my view of Thomson will be reinstated sadly on the experience just had it's only 6 out of ten "Could do better"

One exception to my critique is the entertainment produced by Richard and his team , excellent keep it up.

Overall Ratings
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

441
Cabin was inside on deck 3 but no complaints what so ever , looked after superbly by Estavan.
Published 06/14/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Thomson Spirit Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?