Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by frawnsay

Member Name: frawnsay
Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

First Time Cruisers - Alaska on Celebrity Solstice 5/30/14

Background information:

My husband and I are in our early 30s with two small children (who stayed with Grandma while we headed to Alaska). This was our first cruise and first trip to Alaska (though my husband had been to Victoria before). I wanted to try a cruise; my husband wanted to visit Alaska. So, there you go. After researching online (and yes, here on CC), we decided to go with Celebrity, and our desired date and itinerary gave us the Solstice. We booked in September in 2013.

Hotel information

We stayed at Inn at the Market in Seattle prior to our sail away. Fabulous hotel! We stayed in a recently renovated room (city view) on the 7th floor. The front desk staff and the concierge were always friendly and quick to advise and help. We also enjoyed a dinner at the Pink Door, a local Italian and seafood restaurant just steps from the hotel. Another enjoyable point in Seattle.

Ship information

Activities

We participated in both day and evening activities. During the day, we went to trivia, talks by on-board naturalist Brent Nixon (knowledgeable and humorous), Miss Amanda (history of the Titanic--new perspective with historical details), Celebrity Chef Cook-off (I was one of the guest chefs!), Jackpot Bingo (hubs was only one away, a "stander" from winning!), and the Hot Glass Show. I must plug the Hot Glass Show. The show that we attended included an interesting twist, where a child from the kid care designed a "monster whale" that was created for him to take home--how cool is that?! Also, they created a special piece for auction to give money to breast cancer research. Fascinating process and good deeds!

We also attended evening programming including Sin City Comedy (not for the weak--be prepared for some language, ribbing, and lots of laughing--hilarious, with a side of burlesque), Jason Bishop (magician/illusionist who was amazing--especially with quick hand movements), and the best of the best Solstice the show (cirque-like feats). This last show was magnificent! I had to continually remind myself to close my mouth, because my jaw had dropped and remained there. We sat in the third row--wow! What an experience; if you're up for some excitement, sit close and enjoy!

We also enjoyed the spa. We utilized the relaxation room, the Persian Gardens, the sauna, the steam room, and the exercise area. Many, many amenities that were free to us (or included in our AQ fees). As this was our first cruise, we were so busy trying new things, and since it was rather port/excursion intensive, we didn't book any treatments, though I hope to do so in the future.

Okay, CC participants, you had me worried. Granted, I have never cruised before, so I have nothing to which to compare my experience. I was beyond satisfied. Every staff and crew member we came in contact with, whether passing each other on the deck or in the hallway, at the bar, in a restaurant, at the door with room service--we were always greeted, smiled at or nodded at, asked if we were enjoying our day/night/meal/trip. There was no where that I went on the ship where I felt unattended. There's a reason it's called "the hospitality industry" and it was apparent that the staff and crew of the Solstice are quite aware of their industry.

Port & shore excursions

(see below for our excursions--all booked through the cruise line as we are newbies and didn't know any better)

Travel to embarkation Port

We flew on Alaskan Airlines to Seattle. I can see why they are ranked #1 on customer satisfaction. We used AlreadyThere car service from the airport to our hotel downtown. Cab from downtown to Pier 91.

(see below for cabin and deck info--Aqua Class 1672, aft, deck 11)

I'll save the best for last. ;)

We enjoyed lunch at Aqua Spa Cafe the most. It was light and delicious. My husband didn't care for the crowds in the buffet. We did enjoy some meals in the Ocean View Cafe buffet, but at odd times when traffic was low (2pm, 9pm). We also had our first meal, our embarkation lunch, at the Mast Grill. Basic burger and fries set up. Enjoyed the view of the harbor more than the burger, but it was okay.

We enjoyed dinner one night in Murano. Excellent service, delicious food, and served at a leisurely pace. The curtains were drawn the entire time (8:30pm-10:30pm), but I believe this was because the view may have been of life boats. This was the first night of our cruise, and I feared that we were spoiled. How could the rest of our dining live up to this?

But then...

BLU. Oh, how we love thee. If Celebrity took away all the perks of Aqua Class (please, do NOT do this, Celebrity!), but left only Blu, we would book it still. We plan to sail with Celebrity again, and Aqua Class will now be a must for us as we love, love, love Blu. Smaller venue, chatting with your neighboring tables, and the view. One night at dinner, a woman near the windows spotted a whale. The restaurant emptied towards the windows to view the sealife. With each tail flip, we all ooh-ed and ahh-ed; the servers twirled their towels/napkins--it was such a fun sight. And then we spotted dolphins! And then orcas! It was twenty minutes of viewing, cheering, and communing with fellow travelers. One server announced, "Only in Blu, ladies and gentlemen!" We all cheered! The food, oh the food! Lamb, lobster, trout, rabbit, salmon, pheasant, duck...and of course baked Alaska! And for breakfast...Muelsi! Prepared table-side, and I'm glad that they did as my husband has requested it for breakfast at home now.

Disembarkation

We chose to self-disembark as to enjoy the maximum amount of time in Seattle prior to heading to the airport around 12noon. We had carry-on only luggage, so it was quite easy for us. We had also purchased an Ulu knife and had to pick it up, but that was effortless and well organized. On our US customs card, we had checked that we had food (including meat), but encountered no problems. From ship through customs took us 15 minutes. We hopped into the taxi line, where we waited for another 15 minutes until we were on our way to the Space Needle.

Summary

We loved our cruise. We loved Alaska. We loved our aft cabin. We loved Blu. We plan on cruising again and traveling to Alaska again. We also plan on booking with Celebrity again.

Publication Date: 06/13/14
Read the Alaska ports review by frawnsay
More Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews