Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by thitherer

Destination: Bahamas
        16+ 1.0

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
WORST CRUISE EVER!!!

First let me say that this is the first negative review I have ever written but could not in good conscience let other cruisers experience the horrible experience of cruising of Norwegian without talking about our experience. There were 7 of us traveling together on this cruise (including my 16 year-old granddaughter, and each of us have said we will NEVER cruise on Norwegian again!!

First, our room was extremely small. When I say small, I mean that the bathroom door and the closet door cannot be opened at the same time. Not only that, but in order to get into the bed we either had to crawl in from the bottom of the bed, or turn sideways and shimmy while bumping into the mini fridge or the VERY small mirrored area where you will be expected to do all of your grooming as the bathroom does not have a receptacle for anything other than an electric razor (which is what I was later told was the very faded picture on the receptacle of something that appeared to be anything but an electric razor). Oh, and there is only 1 receptacle for plugging in any other items such as phone chargers, electric tooth brushes, curling irons, etc. . . .

I called the number for the room steward several times when I could not figure out why the blowdryer would not work in the bathroom when it had the same weird round plug-in as the "electric razor" receptacle. At this point I thought the blowdryer was the issue and not the receptacle. The steward never answered the phone!! I then called the number for the "stateroom" steward and the phone was answered on the first ring!! I asked the stateroom steward to give a message to our steward that we needed assistance and was told that a steward would be sent to our room. I NEVER saw the room steward that night or the next day, or any day until the 3rd day of our cruise when we happened to see him in the hallway outside of our room.

Another thing that I had never experienced on other cruise lines is that our luggage was not delivered to our room until 5:30 p.m. and everyone else in our party who had already received their luggage were waiting on me and my husband to go to the dining room. The food on this ship is terrible!! The buffet had the same items every day that we were on the cruise and the food was nothing compared to other cruise lines that care about what they serve their cruisers. The servers were not friendly or helpful and we often saw the servers standing in line to eat with cruisers. Now the servers in the dining room were nice, but seemed harried when the dining room became half full because they had to serve several tables and we would often have to wait until our food was half eaten to get something like steak sauce or ketchup.

The entertainment on the ship was subpar except for a piano player/singer in the Captain Cook bar. We spent time every evening listening to him and were never disappointed. Most of the entertainment was geared for "adult" humor and very suggestive, which I don't mind, but would like to have known as my 16 year-old granddaughter was with us for most of the shows and my daughter or her husband would have to leave the show with her. There were very few activities for kids and the persons facilitating those activities acted as if they had no interest whatsoever in working with children.

We have cruised on Carnival several times and always had a great experience! The ships are MUCH cleaner, they have several receptacles that can be used for phones, blowdryers, razors, etc . . . in the rooms and the rooms are much larger and much, much cleaner. Needless to say, we will not be cruising with Norwegian again and after talking with other people on our Norwegian cruise we are not the only people who were more than unhappy with our cruise. What a waste of money.

Publication Date: 06/13/14