Zuiderdam Cruise Review by illuminated2010: Great cruise

Great cruise

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

This was my first ever cruise and it exceeded my expectations.

We had a veranda room with balcony and the views on this trip were amazing.

Food was great and service was excellent. Majority of staff went above and beyond to make my family stay wonderful.

Rahmat my dinning room server was excellent and made sure our needs were taken care off every single night. He went above and beyond what was expected.

Arief the host made sure we had the same table every night and I was amazed by his effort to remember my room number and family names by the 2nd night.

Matus one of the dinning room managers made and effort to visit every table a few times a night to make conversation and made sure guest were well taken care off. I understand that is his job, but on my 7 day trip, he was the only manager doing this, so this says a lot.

Rooms were cleaned twice daily, once in the morning and the second time during turn down service. During turn down More service, they cleaned the bathrooms and changed the towels as well.

Majority of staff on the ship are foreign and they work long hours and give their very best to serve guest. I have seen many guest complain about minute things, but I feel they are uncalled for. I have seen guest even complain that staff were not making an effort to speak English properly, however, the best service came from those whose 2nd language was English. In fact those whose first language was English were not as friendly.

Even in the Lido buffet, I apologize for not remembering his name, there was a server who worked the Carnilito section who every morning will bring me water and orange juice. Every morning if I sat in his section. Shy guy, seldom spoke but always served with a smile.

In room service for breakfast, came exactly the time you requested the previous night. However regular room service may take longer as they were busier and had less time to prepare for last minute orders.

And for those who complain about being stared at in the pool or hot tub, Please!!!! Everyone is enjoying the great scenery of the inside passage or soaking up the sun.

Ignore the negative reviews, overall excellent 1st time cruise on board Holland America Zuiderdam, excellent service, great food, will be back. Less

Read more Zuiderdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zuiderdam Review >>

Cabin review: Zuiderdam 7003

Nice room with balcony. Shower tub combo, so great for the kid to soak. Comfortable bed and pull out sofa bed for the kid. Sound proof, could not hear any noise from neighbors.