Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dptikig

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: dptikig
Cruise Date: June 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda

Not what I was expecting...

With all the hoopla and ads in NYC about the Breakaway I was expecting a great trip. I have been on many cruises (although never a ship this big) and I was excited about the many dining options. The once catch, is that I am a vegetarian. I called and let them know in advance as I do whenever I travel and there seemed to be no issue. Once on board i found out that was not the case at all. There is meat in almost everything (including salads) and meals are pre-made so they can not make special meals for vegetarians. They would do some bizarre things too like put bacon bits in vegetable soup. I complained a number of times and on the night I made the biggest stink I was brought a quarter of a yellow head of iceberg lettuce and a tomato on a plate, not even chopped. It was so bad I took a picture to show customer service. In the end they said all they could do would be allow us to decline to leave the daily service fee, which is the tip for employees and hardly seemed fair. We were told by the Maitre'd on the last night that the menu is set by Norwegian corporate and is the same on all ships of the same size across the whole fleet. The small ships get one menu, the medium one menu, and the large one menu, and that there was nothing they could do to accomodate, even on nights where there was literally not one vegetarian option on the menu.

The staff was rude, especially in the restaurants. We were told that it is because they are overwhelmed by the number of people on the ship when we complained. Customer service seemed to think this was an acceptable excuse. Also, since the ship sails from NYC it was like being on vacation with the cast of Jersey Shore. I am used to the percentage of rude and pushy people that are inevitably on any cruise, but this was by far the worst.

Publication Date: 06/13/14
Read the Bermuda ports review by dptikig
More Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews