Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dptikig: Not what I was expecting...

dptikig
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Not what I was expecting...

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

With all the hoopla and ads in NYC about the Breakaway I was expecting a great trip. I have been on many cruises (although never a ship this big) and I was excited about the many dining options. The once catch, is that I am a vegetarian. I called and let them know in advance as I do whenever I travel and there seemed to be no issue. Once on board i found out that was not the case at all. There is meat in almost everything (including salads) and meals are pre-made so they can not make special meals for vegetarians. They would do some bizarre things too like put bacon bits in vegetable soup. I complained a number of times and on the night I made the biggest stink I was brought a quarter of a yellow head of iceberg lettuce and a tomato on a plate, not even chopped. It was so bad I took a picture to show customer service. In the end they said all they could do would be allow us to decline to leave the daily service fee, which is the tip for employees and hardly seemed fair. We were told More by the Maitre'd on the last night that the menu is set by Norwegian corporate and is the same on all ships of the same size across the whole fleet. The small ships get one menu, the medium one menu, and the large one menu, and that there was nothing they could do to accomodate, even on nights where there was literally not one vegetarian option on the menu.

The staff was rude, especially in the restaurants. We were told that it is because they are overwhelmed by the number of people on the ship when we complained. Customer service seemed to think this was an acceptable excuse. Also, since the ship sails from NYC it was like being on vacation with the cast of Jersey Shore. I am used to the percentage of rude and pushy people that are inevitably on any cruise, but this was by far the worst. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 12128

The cabin itself was great. The bed was by the door to the balcony which was nice at night (rather then the couch being next to the balcony). The balcony was not as big as other ships I have been on, but it was comfortable for 2 people to sit and read or watch the sunset. The bathroom was average size for a balcony room, but used the space better then other ships. The water pressure was great, and the shower fixtures were nice.

Kings Warf is basically as far away from the rest of bermuda as possible. It is the opposite end of the island from the historic town of St. George with the modern town of Hamilton in right in between them. That said, it had a few things working for it. First, there is an Oleander scooter rental company outpost right there. If you make you reservation in advance it is cheaper then doing it after arrival. Picking up our scootter was really quick, and we were able to park it right at the dock next to the ship overnight. it could not have been easier. The island is really easy to navigate, and once you get used to the other crazy drivers the winding roads were lots of fun. The roads in Bermuda are dangerous though so be careful. There is also a bus station there, which i never used, and a ferry terminal. The ferry is $4 per person per ride, and the ferry to Hamilton was only about 20 minutes. I was also able to bring the scooter on board which was helpful on the day I wanted to drive a bit further. There is a ferry that heads to St. George from there too (although no scooters allowed). Hamilton was great for eating and shopping. On Wednesday night there was a fun street fair. St. George was beautiful, but reduced to a few historic house museums and gift shops. it was a little like South Street Seaport in NYC. Also at King's Warf was a great bakery with rum cake they made fresh right there, as well as a few restaurants and shops. Nothing to write home about. The snorkel beach which was my least favorite of the few I went to was perfect for the last day when you want to make sure to be near the ship before sailing for NYC but still want something to do. it was only a 10 minute walk and was great after I turned in the scooter and still wanted to get in my last little bit of beach time.