Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by blackshadrack: Norwegian Gem Cruise To The Bahamas-LOVED IT!!

blackshadrack
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Bahamas Cruises

Norwegian Gem Cruise To The Bahamas-LOVED IT!!

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Me and my lady sailed from NYC on the Norwegian Gem on March 31st to June 7th. I'm two days back to reality and I miss it so!! We had a GREAT time! The food was plentiful, tasty and NON-STOP. The crew was amazing and there were enough activities to keep you entertained for the entire trip. Dan Dan is the cruise director and the man is funny as hell! The big surprise with him came after the 'Newlywed' game in the Spinnaker lounge. He got up there and put it DOWN with some serious and soulful singing. I was SHOCKED!! His assistant is 'Nacho' and this guy has so much energy it's crazy. He was in charge of most of the high energy activities on the ship during the days at sea. The entertainment is very good and I have to give it to them. The singers and dancers are amazing and very talented. There's always music playing either on the pool deck or in the main spot, which is 'Bliss' This was the after hours spot hot spot on the ship. There was Latin night where a live band played a mix of More Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue. Other bands played Reggae music and there was 90's night in one of the lounges. Prices for drinks were very reasonable, although I ran up a drink tab of about $330. You should expect that. Even though I had plenty of LQ in the stash, it just isn't practical to keep going back and forth to your room for a drink when you're out on the deck on in a lounge partying. The two swimming pools on the top deck are full during the day but plenty of room at night. The weather was so nice so it was nice and full most nights. The food was delicious and most of it was complimentary. There were even a few restaurants that were free and had sit down, waiter service. I definitely plan on sailing with Norwegian again. The only complaint I have would be that I wish that we could spend more time on Great Stirrup Cay and in Nassau. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Gem 10516

The cabin is clean and well appointed. Considering it was a 'family balcony' I thought it would be a little bigger. I don't see the difference between it and the 'Mini Suite' Overall, plenty of light during the day and the balcony was a nice size for me and my lady. Beds were very comfortable and never once did I wake up with any aches or pains. It's a decent size for two. Anymore than that and you're pushing it.

This was the highlight of my trip! We went on the Jet Ski tour and LET ME TELL YOU...I think I have a new hobby. The instructors have the best job in the world! Next we went Parasailing. Very disappointed with how short the activity was. Loved it nonetheless. GSC is a nice island and when you get there they feed you and entertain you with a live band and perfect little beach. My advice: Don't book more than one excursion per port. We made that mistake and didn't have much time left to enjoy the rest of the time there.

Nassau Tour

Total waste of time and wished that we could've spent more time at the beaches. You get to Nassau and about 9pm and can hangout at the local hot spots like Senor Frog until late. The next day we went on our excursion and I hated it. By the time we came back and did a little shopping it was time to get back on the ship. I really liked Nassau and will be going back as soon as possible to really enjoy what they have to offer.

There isn't ANYTHING to do in Port Ca

Airboat Tour

(2)

The Airboat tour was very good. Outside of the fact that I was bitten by a swarm of ants was the only blemish. We actually saw some Alligators during the tour. The captain of the boat was very knowledgeable and could drive the hell out of the boat!! Afterwards there's a quick refreshment break where you're treated to some deep fried Alligator which is DELICIOUS! Next there's a wildlife show with a little opossum, a baby Alligator and a Python snake which you can hold and take a pic with for $5 after the show. Proceeds help with the sanctuary.

Cocoa Beach

(1)

Either we were let out at the low rent end or the beach is just trashy. After walking on to the sand in our barefeet we had to hurry up and put on our water shoes because the sand was FULL of ground up seashells and walking in your bare feet was hazardous. Before the beach we went to Cocoa Village and outside of places to eat, all of the shops look like they were in your grandparents basement. Nothing even worthwhile mentioning.