Carnival Valor Cruise Review by rb80: Pretty Good Cruise, Port Intensive!

rb80
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean Cruises

Pretty Good Cruise, Port Intensive!

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

The wife and I sailed on the Carnival Valor June 1 through June 8th. We found our fellow cruisers to be nice, generally polite and not the raucous crowd I have read about on other reviews. Didn't see anyone stumbling down the hallway in a drunken stupor either. Generally speaking, a fun loving crowd!

The ship was spotless clean. Housekeeping and maintenance teams worked tirelessly to keep it that way. Carnival has this aspect down to a science!

Dining options, meaning Dining Room to Lido Buffet were good, but have to agree could use a few more options. Food service staff couldn't keep up with the dirty tables, floors, etc. Couldn't understand why, as there is staff everywhere. Still pretty good, just a notch or two below other Carnival cruses we have been on.

Entertainment continues to be an afterthought. We took in a comedy show, average at best with heavy reliance on crouch humor. Really?

We saw two shows in the Ivanhoe Lounge. The first was an More 80s Flashback show. The male vocalist was excellent (and I have never used that word in a Carnival Entertainment review). The female vocalist was energetic but lacking of the same vocal skills as her male counterpart. The dancers were OK, but reminded me of a good high school talent show. The sound mix on this show was pretty horrible. Carnival stepped up their stage sets for this production. Glad to see more than a curtain behind a bunch of dancers wearing G-Strings for once.

The second show was a Legends show where fellow cruisers provided the vocals of iconic singers, read this Karaoke On Stage. One word: horrible. I have to question the thought process of taking something normally preformed in a small bar setting (Karaoke) and attempting to present it as a feature show. I left with my ears bleeding after two songs.

The ports were exactly as we expected. Beware of peddlers, barkers and beggars. They are everywhere but normally listen after the fourth or fifth "No Thanks". I will not go into port excursions here, but will say Carnival was much more in line pricewise on this cruise with what we could have booked on our own.

This was one of our better Carnival Cruises. I would do this cruise again. Less

Read more Carnival Valor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Valor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Valor Interior Upper 6204

Located on the Upper Deck on the bow of the ship. Very private location but a hike to the elevators and a marathon to the stern. Loved the passenger walkway, but very, very dark at night, no lights on the bow when underway. Great during the day. You feel the motion of the ocean being on the bow, but it did not bother us.