Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by jjmilligan: Never again with Royal Caribbean

jjmilligan
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska Cruises

Never again with Royal Caribbean

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I was on the verge of tears after so many easy things went very wrong. My husband had to tuck me away in a corner and seek other vendors to assist us due to the Royal Caribbean's inadequacies with respect to customer service.

We like to plan ahead and make the most of our vacations so we planned excursions, dinner, and spa sessions before even leaving port! The spa and excursions were all planned through the website and my credit card was charged. The first thing that came up was the spa shave for my husand on the first formal evening. We delayed our dinner plans at the main dining room in order to give him time to be freshly shaven and put on his suit. When it got close to his appointment, I walked him up to the nineth deck and waited for everything to be squared away, but it wasn't! They had completely LOST his appointment and blamed computer troubles. When we explained the timing was a factor, they told us that they had no availability at this time but could fit him in More another day - how about tomorrow (when we are in port all day and not just at sea)? We double checked my appointment and rescheduled his thinking this is just a fluke and he went down to shave himself in our cabin.

His appointment came later in the week and they did not have a professional barbor doing the job at all - it was a woman that was better as messages than a razor so he ended up with razor burn and said he could have done better on his own - we paid almost $100 for an ameteaur shave!

We made it through the first formal night and enjoyed our dinner as the service was AMAZING in the main dining room! Of course due to the set backs from the spa, we got in late. We noticed tickets on our bed and thought nothing of them as we had already received our excursion tickets for the next day (we did a later excursion to allow us time to hit a non-excursion location before that closed early). As we climbed into bed, we noticed the red blinking light on our phone indicating a message but no one knew which cabin we were in so we checked it to find out that they had cancelled our excursion and rebooked us into an earlier time. Of course you can't do anything at 10pm at night about it so we went to bed upset and were going to fix it in the morning.

I got up and made it through breakfast which is NOT meant for introverts (no matter if you are My Time dining or not - get ready for at least 8 people per table for both breakfast and lunch in the main dining room and telling everyone where you are from and what you do each meal). When I went to the excursion desk, I told them our predicament about wanting to see another building and how it closes early which was why we opted for the later excursion. Amber's answer was, "sorry, it's going to remain cancelled at this time." She was COMPLETELY unhelpful! She did not try to help us find another excursion until after we asked and did not try to offer suggestions at all. Her only offer was to cancel for us. I was livid. My husband finally put me in a corner with a book and called the building we were trying to visit - they actually were trying to help us by offering to have a security guard let us in after hours if possible! Now THAT is customer service!

The hits just kept coming and we were so excited when we finally landed back in Seattle and away from this disappointing trip. Every morning for breakfast, there was an option of a buffet in the main dining room EXCEPT the last day where you had to order off the menu and it took over 45 minutes to sit down, order and receive our food. If Royal Caribbean wants to expedite the process, then offer the buffet!

We talked to others on the boat that were amazingly disappointed as well. Trainers didn't show up for stretch classes and food was overcooked.

I will NEVER sail with Royal Caribbean again. Less