Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by ettrickbay: An excellent cruise

An excellent cruise

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Newcastle (England)

This was our third time on the Spirit leaving from our home base Newcastle on Tyne. First of all I was delighted by the efficient way the port authorities dealt with the passengers before we actually booked in. Quickly and efficiently our cases were taken from us Thomson staff gave out literature and directions before we went into the main hall. We were given a number asked to be seated and when our number was called in batches we boarded a shuttle bus to take us to the ship.

I realise this is an old ship but was pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of refurbishing has taken place with new furniture and carpets in several locations. Apparently this is on going. We were travelling to the Baltic which included Germany Estonia Finland St Petersburg, Sweden and finally Denmark. The only disappointment being the weather which Thomson have absolutely no control over. Rain and fog so thick you could not see the sea. Fog horns going all night.(no complaint there) safety takes More precedent over sleep.

The crew were as always amazing cheerful polite and efficient. Even tried to help me learn some Russian.

We ate in the Lido each day as I am very, very fussy about the choice of food I eat. Thank goodness Thomson have now provided some British food on their theme nights. It used to be a mega problem finding something to eat if you did not care for Chinese Tex mex Indian food etc.

The staff made sure that all passengers used the gel disinfectant before entering the Lido. Only criticism being some passengers laying their walking sticks across the tables. I wonder if they do that at home. How unhygienic.

Having read some reviews prior to our cruise, put some doubts into our minds about choosing this ship again. We can assure all who read this that the ship and crew were faultless in our opinion and all who I spoke to on the cruise felt the same.

Some did complain that the cabins were small or they only had a port hole but you get what you pay for. That was their choice cost being the deciding factor. I do think that Thomsons are hiking their prices exceedingly fast and could end up pricing themselves out of the market but again that has no bearing on the high standard of this ship and its crew We wish we could name all.

I for one will be sorry that next year the port of Newcastle will not be used. Amazingly a lot of people used this ship because of leaving from the UK Less

Read more Thomson Spirit cruise reviews >>