Golden Princess Cruise Review by Guera

Cruise Date: May 2014
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Number: L244
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

Golden Princess Alaska May 2014

This was the first cruise for my husband and myself. Not all was up to our expectations, but since we are newbies to all of this I guess some expectations were unrealistic and mostly subjective.

Ship-Golden Princess is nice but is showing signs of wear and tear, rust, loose and missing tiles, stains, she needs a little attention to small details.

Activities-This is subjective also, we did not care to get involved in most of them but it was nice that it is available should one choose to participate, I could tell that they wanted to provide something for everyone, we mostly enjoyed the scenery on the decks, we were there to see Alaska, not the ship.

Embarkation-long lines, multiple long lines, getting through security screening, checking in, getting on the ship, wish they could organize this better.

Service-excellent

Excursions-rushed but mostly enjoyable, in Skagway we took the charter bus from the Pier and drove into Canada and then took White Pass Rail back to Skagway, after Border Patrol checked our passports we were let off on the street and not given any directions or information on how to get back to the ship, had to wander our way around to find it, this was annoying, some said there were signs but they were very small, however, for the most part all excursions had great guides and we saw a lot, but again they were rushed

Cabin-smaller than I imagined, but got used to it, not sure that I want to be in a bathroom that small again

Dining-most people rave about the food, I found it good but not excellent, the one thing I would say was excellent was the corn flake crusted French toast.

Entertainment-did like movies under the stars

Disembarkation-was handled very smoothly, great organization

As I stated above, we were there to see Alaska not the ship, I would rate it an 7 on a scale of 1-10. Not sure if cruising is a desired means for a vacation for us in the future but we sure did learn a lot about it. My preference for vacation is to maximize our time in each location which seems better obtained traveling to a location and renting a car and seeing the sights on our own time frame. Excursions were rushed and I would like to stay as long as I wished at each one of them and not have to worry about making it back to the ship in time.

Publication Date: 06/13/14