Westerdam Cruise Review by ltacatz: OVERALL, IT WAS QUITE NICE

OVERALL, IT WAS QUITE NICE

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was our first cruise in 7 years, so things have changed a bit. We have sailed with Holland America before and been quite happy. This time we did Alaska, round trip out of Seattle (we live in Western Washington). Left our car at the SeaTac Masterpark lot and caught Shuttle Express from the airport to the cruise terminal. Saved some hassle going, but coming back we had to stand in line with everyone else who was trying to take Shuttle Express, whether they had a reservation or not (we did). Ended up waiting about 15-20 minutes to get on a shuttle that was totally full, but it could have been a longer wait.

At the cruise terminal, we stood in line about 20 minutes to get signed in and then headed to the Lido for lunch. We had been told our cabin (4101) wouldn't be ready until about 1-1:30. It was indeed ready then, very neatly made up and clean. It is supposed to be a "larger" cabin, but was smaller then I expected, though when I saw a "standard" size cabin later, ours was More bigger. We had great staff taking care of our room, only had to ask for something to get it. I love getting fresh towels 3 times a day.

Food in the Lido was ok, though I admit I loved the soft serve ice cream at lunch. Trying to find a seat was a pain most days and for anyone paying extra to eat in the Italian restaurant, be warned it is only part of the Lido dressed up with linen napkins, glassware and waiters. Dinner in the Vista dining room was inconsistent in quality, tho never bad. One night filet mignon was wonderful, two days later it was just so-so. A lot of confusion sitting people, I'm not sure why. Also, I know I'm not continental, but I think 1 1/2 - 2 hours every night for dinner is a bit much, especially when some of the dishes brought out were wrong.

Entertainment wasn't bad, definitely not professional quality, but the shows were bright and lively and I don't think Las Vegas quality on a ship should be expected. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed Recycled Percussion, which is a LV show, that was performing one night.

Casino was adequate, but I had never gambled on a cruise before and found it a slightly confusing system at first to play the slots.

One of my biggest complaints, and looking back it really isn't that big of a deal, but there was never anything but luke-warm water in the bathroom after 7 at night. I don't know if it was just our deck or everywhere, but I found it very annoying not to have my hot shower in the evening. Mornings and afternoons were always ok.

Getting off the ship for shore excursions was awful. Everyone crammed their way into the disembarking area. There was no organization at all, if you had an early excursion, you had just better get there at least 30-45 minutes early or you wouldn't make it off on time. Holland America REALLY needs to work on this problem, it was extremely irritating and quite possibly hazardous having so many people stuffed into a small area. I felt very sorry for the people in wheelchairs who were completely surrounded by people. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Westerdam Review >>

Cabin review: Westerdam 4101

Cabin was very clean, tho smaller then I expected. Partial view still allowed us to see part of the shore as we cruised by. Also was able to see the tenders being lowered and raised, which I found interesting, tho the lowering at 6am was rather early.Bathroom was adequate, we had a tub/shower. Water was only luke-warm in the evenings, very irritating to me. Clean and always well-stocked. Our stewards were fantastic.Enough closet space, safe was handy. Vanity lighting could have been better, but plenty of light in the bathroom. Locking drawer next to bed did not work, draperies would not stay tightly closed, used a safety pin at night to keep them shut. Towel art was great to come home to each night.